TPL_BEEZ2_NAV_VIEW_SEARCH

TPL_BEEZ2_NAVIGATION

TPL_BEEZ2_SEARCH

Caneadea Bridge 1908

 bridge01

 

The Caneadea Bridge spanning the Genesee River, now sits idle. It is located at the end of River St connecting to the East Hill Road. It was erected in 1903 by the Groton Iron Bridge Co. at a cost of $6360. It is of a Camel Back structure, one of only two left standing in the US.
There are many stories woven into the intricate ironwork of the bridge. The most famous being the showdown of the Allegany County Citizens and the siting Commission for  the  installation a dumpsite for 'low level' nuclear waste. Senior citizen's chained themselves to this bridge forming a human barricade. It was so strong a protest that the Caneadea site was no longer considered.
In 1998 The Caneadea Bridge was was added to the National and the New York State Registry of Historic Places.

bridge02

bridge03

 

TPL_BEEZ2_ADDITIONAL_INFORMATION