Town of Genesee
GENESEE (1830): The Seneca Indian word meaning “pleasant bank” is the origin of the name Genesee. In the town is a small creek, a tributary stream of the Allegany River, called Little Genesee, thus the name of the hamlet through which it flows. Also in the town is the hamlet of Ceres, most likely another name from the classical influence of NYS place name origins. Formed from Cuba April 16, 1830.
GENESEE (1823): The first settler arrived around 1823. The Town of Genesee was established in 1830 from a division of the Town of Cuba. Much of the early economy was based on harvesting the forests, but oil production began around 1890.
|Town of Genesee|