Town of Granger
GRANGER (1839): First named West Grove when formed from Grove in April 13, 1838. Later it was renamed Granger in the honor of Francis Granger of Canandaigua, Postmaster General of the U.S. on March 6, 1839. Also in the township is the hamlet of Short Tract, named after the early settler, William Short who purchased a large tract of land in the area.
The map below is from the 2004 edition roadmaps published by the Allegany County Department of Public Works.
Click here to view larger map.
BIOGRAPHIES OF GRANGER PEOPLE: Many summary Biographies have been offered including the following surnames-- ATHERTON, ATWOOD, ALBEE, BALDWIN, BENNETT, COLLISTER, COOPER, CROTTY, DOANE, FULLER, HOLADY, KINGSBURY, MOSES, PARKER, PHINNEY, PITT, REYNOLDS, SEEKINS, SMITH, SNYDER, SMITH, STOCKWELL, TADDER, TUTTLE, VAN NOSTRAND, WEAVER, WOODRUFF & YAGER. These were taken from History of Allegany County, N.Y., 1806 - 1879, F. W. Beers & Company. Go to BIOGRAPHIES and choose alpha listing of surname.