TPL_BEEZ2_NAV_VIEW_SEARCH

TPL_BEEZ2_NAVIGATION

TPL_BEEZ2_SEARCH

Rushford Cemetery

Rushford Cemetery, Town of Rushford, Allegany County, NY
Lewellyn Street, Rushford

The Rushford Cemetery Association was incorporated August 31, 1850. However, the cemetery might have been established before that time according to dates on some of the markers. No information or records previous to that time are available as nearly all the early records were burned during the Brick Block fire in the year of 1921.

The first trustees of the Association were John G. Osborn, Charles Benjamin, Washington White, Luther Gordon, George W. Green, Gideon S. Walker, and Elihu Talcott.

The land for the cemetery was purchased by Elihu Talcott and donated to the town by him. He was one of the first officers of the Association. Elihu Talcott was a grandfather of R. Talcott Brooks. Mr. Brooks was for many years a Trustee and Secretary of the Board, retiring in 1957.

In the year 1941, approximately one and one-half acres of land adjoining the north side of the original plot was purchased from Mrs. Mae Wilmot, thus enlarging the Cemetery to its present size. In the year of 1957 a receiving vault was built with funds received from the Will of the late Minnie Jagers.

(excerpt from "The Spirit of Rushford: 1808-1958").

TPL_BEEZ2_ADDITIONAL_INFORMATION