Coombs, William Gail & Winifred Glover "Family"
- Category: C-D
William Gail Coombs & Winifred Edna Glover family
Winifred (Winnie) Glover Coombs & her cousin Harold Ross Glover, January 2007
Winifred Edna Glover Coombs was born Jan 22, 1924 in Burns, NY (17). She married William Gail Coombs on Nov 6, 1943 (1). Gail was born July 28, 1923 in Garwoods, Allegany Co, NY; and died Mar 23, 1979, Noyes Hospital, Dansville, Livingston Co., NY (1, SSDI). He was buried at the Canaseraga, NY Cemetery, Scott section, near his parents, grandparents, and great grandparents. Gail worked in the construction business. Winnie drove school bus for Canaseraga for over 20 years, as did her cousin and friend H. Ross Glover for a while when he returned from WWII. She later worked at Swain’s Ski Slope for about 11 years.
Bob Glover to Tina Coombs: Pretty cool that your grandmother drove a school bus in the 40s and now you drive an airplane. Tina: I admire that she worked so hard during a time when it was a-typical.
Gail’s tombstone at the Canaseraga, NY Cemetery, photographed in 2007 by H. Ross Glover, reads:
July 28, 1923
Mar. 23, 1979
Hornell Evening Tribune, Mar 23, 1979
W. GAIL COOMBS
CANASERAGA---W. Gail Coombs, 55, of 38 River St., died today (March 23, 1979) in Noyes Memorial Hospital, Dansville, following a long illness. A native of Garwoods, he had resided in Canaseraga most of his life. He was a self-employed general contractor for the past 30 years. Survivors are his wife, Mrs. Winifred Glover Coombs; five sons, Robert, Francis, Phillip, Martin, Raymond, all of Canaseraga; five daughters, Mrs. Jane Ryan of Window Rock, Ariz., Rita of Medford, Ore., Gayla, Lisa, Carla, all of Canaseraga; two brothers, Neal of Arkport RD, Vere of Melbourne, Fla., and five grandchildren. There will be no prior calling hours. Services will be held at the convenience of family.
Arrangements are by the Chamberlin Funeral Home, Dansville.
H. Ross Glover remembers: “Winnie was the smart one. She was in the same grade in school in Canaseraga with me and her brothers Harry and Harding. She would help us with our homework.”
Winnie lived in Canaseraga, NY most of her life. She lived there in 1963 when her mother died. In 1994 she lived on River Street—the same street on which H. Ross Glover was born in the home of his father, A. Ross Glover, who was the nephew of Winnie’s father, James Lee Glover. Then later she lived in an apartment in a bright yellow house on Main Street. Winnie’s brother Harry used to visit each year and stayed with Winnie. Winnie was a key contributor back in the early 1990s when H. Ross Glover started the challenging task of documenting the history of James Lee Glover and his 18 children and their families. Ross has in his files several handwritten notes from his former classmate
including this in 1994: “Hi Ross and Corinne, Just a note to say I’ve been trying to get the ones I’ve missed together. They all promised me info, so far just Harry. I’ll keep working on them. Filled in the sheets you sent. I’m calling Doris (daughter of Glenn), Shirley (daughter of Roy), and Regis (wife of Harding) today to see if I can get more info. Harry and Pat have been to Hawaii so haven’t heard from them lately. You know Ross, you and Corinne are invited to the Glover Reunion at Jocko’s and Gayla’s. Would love to see you there. It’s not too far. Hope to see you. Winnie”
Winnie supplied Ross with a list of all of the children of James Lee Glover and his two wives, with dates of birth and death, back in 1990 when he began the Glover Family History. She noted: “These are all the ones I know Ross. Mom had these in her book (Bible). The only reason I had these is I have the Reunion Book (Sec.& Treas) so copied all information that was there.” Rita Coombs wrote H. Ross Glover in 2006 about the Glover history: “You are doing a great job, we are so enjoying the data and information and take it all to share with Winnie. Thanks so much!”
Winnie now resides at the Alterra Clare Bridge of Perinton Memory Care Facility in Pittsford, Monroe Co., NY. H. Ross Glover visited her there in Jan 2007 for her 83d birthday party.
THE CHILDREN OF WINNIE AND GAIL:
Much of the info on Winnie’s children is from Rita Coombs, Jane Coombs Cummings and the records of their mother Winnie Glover Coombs (31) Winnie and Gail had 10 children: Robert Gail Coombs, Jane Ilene Coombs Cummings, Francis Gail Coombs, Philip James Coombs, Gayla Jean Coombs Mark, Martin Tracy Coombs, Rita Ann Coombs, Raymond Lee Coombs, Lisa Marie Coombs, Carla Fae Coombs Garwood.
THE ANCESTORS AND SIBLINGS OF WILLIAM GAIL COOMBS
Per Ancestry One World Tree/Ancestry Trees (23) unless noted otherwise. This is not all documented. http://trees.ancestry.com/owt/person.aspx?pid=162176111
1. WILLIAM GAIL COOMBS was b July 28, 1923 in Garwoods, NY; d Mar 23, 1979, Noyes Memorial Hospital, Dansville, NY.
2. PHILIP WAYNE COOMBS, father of William Gail Coombs, was b Jan 2, 1892 in Grove, NY; d Oct 4, 1937, Burns, NY (23). Note: the 1900, and 1930 Census indicate he was b in 1892 as does One World Tree and Canaseraga Cemetery. His WWI draft card and 1920 Census indicate he was born in 1894. He was buried at the Canaseraga, NY Cemetery, Scott section, with his wife. His wife was Lena B. Coombs (b 1897, NY; d Dec 16, 1958) (23). They married abt 1922 per 1930 Census. Per his June 1917 WWI draft card, he was single and farmer in Whitney Crossing, NY, working for his father William Coombs. According to H. Ross Glover, Philip was a World War I veteran and was gassed by the enemy in France. He was a farmer. In 1920, 26 yr old
Philip lived in Grove, NY with his father, 60 yr old William Coombs,and was a farmer along with his father and brothers. In 1930, Philip and Lena lived in Burns, NY with children W. Gail and Neal P. Coombs. They lived 2 houses from Elizabeth Glover, the widow of Richard Glover (brother of James Lee Glover). Philip was not working in 1930 per Census. Children of Philip and Vera included William Gail Coombs (1923), Neal Philip Coombs (1928) and Vere H. Coombs (1930).
2) NEAL PHILIP COOMBS was b Dec 18, 1928, Burns, NY; d Dec 16, 1986, Canaseraga, NY, per SSDI and One World Tree. Per SSDI, he had worked for the Railroad and his last residence was Arkport, NY. He was buried at Canaseraga Cemetery, Scott section. He married Zoe Southam, the daughter of William Watson Southam (b Apr 16, 1908, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada; d July 13, 1988, Toronto, Canada), and Katinka Raimondi Young.
3) VERE FRANCIS COOMBS was b abt 1930. According to an undated news clipping found in the trunk of Daphne Gelser Glover: “Living in Alabama---A/1C and Mrs. Vere H. Coombs, who were recently married, are residing in Geneva, Ala., where Mrs. Coombs, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leon N. Speigner of Geneva, has a responsible position in the Probate Court. Sgt. Coombs, son of Mrs. Lena P. Coombs of Canaseraga and the late Philip W. Coombs, is stationed at Eglin Field, where he was recently promoted to his present rank.”
3. WILLIAM COOMBS, father of Philip, was b Jan 1857 in Minstead, Hampshire Co., England, immigrated in 1873 at the age of 13 with his parents, and became a naturalized citizen in 1887 per 1900 & 1920 Census. He died in 1939 and was buried at the Canaseraga, NY Cemetery, Scott section, with his wife. Cemetery records list him as b in 1857, 1900 Census has b in 1860. He married Cora Shelly (1871-1918 per Canaseraga Cemetery) in 1891 per 1900 Census. In 1900, William lived in Burns, NY with wife Cora and children Philip, Shelley, Gertrude, and Van. He was a farmer. In 1920, he was a widow living in Grove, NY with children Philip, Van, Glenn, and Alton. In 1930, 70 yr old William lived in Grove, NY with his daughter Gertrude Coombs Ewart.
The children of William and Cora in addition to Philip were: Shelly Aaron Coombs (b Dec 15, 1894, South Dansville, NY per WWI draft card; d Sep 12, 1957 per Ancestry Trees), Gertrude Bell Coombs Ewart (b Feb 15, 1896, NY per 1900 Census; d 1947 per Canaseraga, NY Cemetery ), Van Coombs (b Apr 21, 1900, NY; d Nov 1986, last residence Addison, NY per SSDI), Glenn E. Coombs (1902-1964 per Canaseraga, NY Cemetery-Scott section) and Alton Coombs (b abt 1910 per 1920 Census). 2) Shelly married Marinda Chloe Kemp (b June 2, 1910, West Sparta, NY; d Apr 6, 1989, Noyes Hospital, Dansville, NY) in abt 1928. Their children were William Coombs (b abt 1928, NY), Richard C. Coombs (b Mar 5, 1930, Dansville, NY; d Jan 6, 1998, Dansville, NY per obit), and Frank Coombs (b Feb 11, 1934; d Nov 5, 1976 per obit), Clarence Coombs, Luella Coombs Brown. Shelley was a boiler mechanic at Foster Wheeler in Dansville.
Genesee Country Express Obituary:
Marinda K. Coombs
Born June 2, 1910
Died April 6, 1989
Marinda K. Coombs, 78, of Kysorville-Byersville Road in West Sparta died Thursday (Apr. 6, 1989) in Noyes Memorial Hospital from injuries suffered in a fire at her home earlier that day. Born June 2, 1910, in West Sparta, a daughter of Victor and Chloe Muchler Kemp, she was married to Shelly Coombs who died in 1957. Prior to retirement, she was employed by the Blum Shoe Mfg. Co. in Dansville. Mrs. Coombs was a member of the West Sparta United Methodist Church and the Ladies Aid unit. She was predeceased by a son, Frank, who died in 1976. Surviving are three sons, William of West Sparta, Richard of Atlanta and Clarence of Canisteo; a daughter, Luella Brown of Dansville; a sister, Mary Ess of Wayland; two brothers, William and Victor Kemp, both of West Sparta; 20 grandchildren and 37 great-grandchildren;
nieces and nephews. A service was conducted Sunday afternoon in the Chamberlin Funeral Home of Dansville with the Rev. Paul Cauvel officiating. Burial was in Oaklawn Cemetery, West Sparta. Memorial contributions may be made to the West Sparta Fire Department. (GCE, April 13, 1989, p4)
3) Gertrude married Thomas Monroe “Roe” Ewart (b Feb 18,1895, NY; d Feb 1975; last residence Canaseraga, NY per SSDI.) They were buried at the Canaseraga Cemetery. In 1920, Gertrude and Monroe Ewart lived in Portage, NY and he was a battery man with the railroad. They were the parents of Thomas Dean Ewart (1924-1992), and grandparents of Renee Ewart, who married Robert Coombs, the grandson of Gertrude’s brother Philip Coombs. Monroe’s parents were Thomas M. Ewart (b abt 1847, NY) and Elizabeth B. (b abt 1864, NY) per 1910 Census, when they lived in Burns, NY next to Burt and Addie Gelser, grandparents of H. Ross Glover. Thomas was a farmer. In 1930, the 65 yr old widow Elizabeth Ewart
lived in Canaseraga, NY near Robert F. Glover, grandfather of H. Ross Glover. Thomas lived in 1880 in Grove, NY with his mother Mary L. Ewart (b abt 1810, NY).
5) Glenn married Ada M. (b Apr 10, 1905; d May 3, 1999, last residence Hornell, NY per SSDI). They were buried at the Canaseraga Cemetery. Their children include: Joyce, Carole, James, Joanne, and Glenda.
4. AARON COOMBS, father of William, was born Jan 24, 1834 in Ellingham, Hampshire Co, Eng per Ancestry Trees & 1900 Census; d 1924. He is buried in the Scott section of the Canaseraga, NY Cemetery with his wife Ellen. In 1871 he lived in North Stoneham, Hampshire Co, England. He migrated with his family to Burns, NY in 1873. In 1880, he lived in Grove, NY with wife Ellen. In 1900 he lived in Grove, NY with wife Ellen and son Charles They were farmers. In 1910 Aaron and Ellen lived in Burns, NY. Per 1910 Census, Aaron and Ellen migrated to the USA in 1871. His married Ellen in abt 1855. She was b Jan 9, 1833 per 1900 Census; d 1914 per Canaseraga Cemetery records. Their children born in England per 1871 England Census: Charles F.(1856) , William (1857)), Harry V. (1861), Emily (abt 1862), Mary A. (abt 1864), Elizabeth (1865), Ada (abt 1870) Charles F. was b May 23, 1856 per 1900 Census; d 1933; bur Canaseraga, NY Cemetery, Scott section. His children included:
Frances, Dorothy and Ada Coombs. Harry V. was b abt 1861, d. Mar 2, 1932 per Canaseraga Cemetery (no headstone) Elizabeth (Liza) was b in 1865 in Gorley, Eng, baptized July 9, 1865 at the Ibsely Church, Dorset, Eng. per the below website; d 1954 per Canaseraga, NY Cemetery. In 1920, she lived with her 67 yr old husband Charles Goho (b 1856; d 1927 per Canaseraga Cemetery) in Burns, NY on the land next to that of her brother William Coombs. In 1920 Charles Goho was a laborer and Liza was a store keeper.
NOTE: info below from from Jane Hulme website (22) which is largely documented; plus One World Tree: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/person.aspx?tid=22591&pid=-2144775167
5. DAVID COOMBS, father of Aaron, was b 1791, Minstead, Hampshire, Eng per 1871 England Census; d 1875, Gorely, Eng. He was baptized Aug 14, 1791 at the Minstead Church. David was a farmer, living in Lynwood, Eng in 1841, Cadnam Lane, Minstead, Eng in 1851, Gorley, Eng in 1871. He was buried at the Ellingham Church, Eng. He married Mary Ann Brewer on Apr 27, 1818 in Cranborne, Dorset, England. Mary Ann was b betw 1793-1798 in Ellingham, Hampshire, Eng. She died in 1863 in Eling, New Forest, Eng. and was buried at Ellingham Church, Eng. According to the 1871 England Census, 80 yr old David Coombs lived in Gorley, Hampshire Co., Eng with his nephews William Thomas (b abt 1843) and George Thomas (b abt 1849) Their children b in England were: Abel (1818), Caroline (1821), William (1824), Richard (1825), Tamar (1828), Emily (1830), Aaron (1834)
1) Abel Coombs was b 1818 in Barrows, Cranborne, Dorstet, Eng; d 1834 Lynwood, Cranborne, Dorset, Eng.. buried at the Ellingham Church.
2) Caroline Coombs was b 1821 in Lynwood, Cranborne, Dorset, Eng. and baptized at the Ellingham Church Mar 11, 1821. She married Stephen Curtis Sep 12, 1837 at the Ellingham Church at the age of 16.1755
3) William Coombs was b 1824 in Cranborne, Eng.
4) Richard was b 1825 in Elllingham, Dorset, Eng.; baptized July 24, 1825 at the Ibsley Church, Dorset. He lived in Lynwood in 1841, Minstead in 1851.(22) Richard married Millicent Lovell and had 4 children: Marshall, Edith, Herbert Richard (b Aug 5, 1866, Hampshire Co., Eng; d Feb 21, 1931), and Francis Willis (b May 6, 1871) Marshall’s children included Marshall, Millicent and Herbert.Herbert Richard Coombs married Anna Nancy White (b May 2, 1872, Ossian, NY; d May 21, 1960). Their children born in Garwoods, NY included Frank H. Coombs (Dec 20, 1894), Ralph Marshall (Jan 19, 1896), Laura Millicent (Dec 9, 1898), Marion Willis (Mar 8, 1903), Seth A. (abt 1909), Kenneth L. (abt 1913), Edith A. (abt 1920). (23)
5) Tamar Coombs Saunders was b 1828, Lynwood, Eng. She was baptized at Ellingham Church on Sep 14, 1828. She lived in Lynwood in 1841, Minstead in 1851.(22) Tamar married James Saunders (d Feb 23, 1908) and their children were James and Caroline. She died in 1875 (23)
6) Emily Coombs Vincent was b Mar 8, 1830 (23); baptized Apr 4, 1830 at the Ellingham Church (22). She died Feb 10, 1833, NY Emily married William S. Vincent (b Oct 25, 1829, Dorset, Eng; d Sep 15, 1915. Their children, born in Groveland, NY and in Allen, NY, were: Mary A Vincent Stockweather (Jan 25, 1852-Feb 1934, Short Tract, NY), Harriet Vincent Bailor (1854- Apr 2, 1919), William A. Vincent (Oct 26, 1829- July 5, 1925, NY), Sarah J. Vincent (1859-1877), Sydney P. Vincent (Sep 5, 1860- Aug 9, 1934), Lily Annette Vincent Byron (Dec 21, 1851-Feb 22, 1911), Ralph Kingsburg Vincent (Mar 7, 1870-July 5, 1934, Saginaw, MI), Fred H. Vincent (1871-Mar 30, 1933), Frank Charles Vincent (Sep 5, 1873-May 16, 1888) (23)
7. THOMAS COOMBS, was the father of David. He was b in 1755 in England and died in 1833 in Gorley, Eng. He was buried at the Ibsley Church. His wife was Bridget (b 1753, Dorset, Eng; d Jan 1837, Linwood, Eng; buried Jan 11, 1837, Ibsley Church). Their children were Sarah, Thomas (1785-1845), Ann (1787), William (1788), Elizabeth (1790), David (1791-1875), Richard (1793), Debora (1795), Abel (1797-1830).
For more info on the spouses and children of the children of Thomas Coombs go to http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/person.aspx?