ALLEN (1823): Allen was named by its early residents to honor Ethan Allen a Revolutionary War hero from the Battle of Ticonderoga. A hamlet with a most interesting name lies in the southern part of the township – Aristotle. Perhaps it is one of the farthest west NYS place names with a classical origin similar to our central NYS area where names of ancient Greece and Roman times abound. In the town of Allen is located a cemetery with a superb name: “Where The Pioneers Sleep.” Formed from Angelica January 31, 1823.
(Click on map for larger view)
|Town of Allen|
- Town History from 1896 - "A Centennial Memorial History of Allegany County, New York"
- Town of Allen Officials Listing
Additional Information on this website:
- Colonel William Wilson b.January 30, 1810 "probably" 1st white child born in Town of Allen
- First school taught near south line of town in 1820
- First primitive saw-mill erected on Baker's creek c.1820 by Moses Treat
- First religious services, c.1821 by Rev. Robert Hubbard
- First tavern opened in southern part by Widow Armstrong, c.1827
- First store was kept by man named Merrick at Allen Centre