Town and Village of Andover
- Category: Town & Village of Andover
ANDOVER (1824): Andover is situated in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains amid the green hills of southeastern Allegany County. The first settlement of the Town of Andover was made in 1796 at Elm Valley, previously called Shoemaker's Corner, by Nathanial Dyke and Stephen Cole. It is the town line between Andover and Wellsville. First Called Bakers or Bakerstown in 1809, the Town of Andover was formed from Independence on January 28, 1824 and a portion of Wellsville was annexed in 1855. It has an area of 23,785 acres. The name of the town was first suggested by James Adams whose childhood home was in Andover, Vermont. He and his family moved from Vermont the same year this town was formed. As the first town meeting was also called in 1824, the name, Andover, apparently was adopted then.
The map below is from the 2004 edition roadmaps published by the Allegany County Department of Public Works.
Click here to view larger map.