TPL_BEEZ2_NAV_VIEW_SEARCH

TPL_BEEZ2_NAVIGATION

TPL_BEEZ2_SEARCH

Town of Independence & Village of Whitesville

Origin

INDEPENDENCE (1821):  Town was formed from Alfred, March 16, 1821.  Andover was taken off January 28, 1824 and a part of Willing taken off November 19, 1851.  At one time called Green’s Corners after Luther Green who settled there in 1820. Speculation abounds regarding the name and origin of Independence, but the hamlet of Whitesville was named in honor of Samuel S. White, an early prominent citizen who settled there in 1819 and built the first hotel & kept the first store. The hamlet of Spring Mills most likely derives its name from the many springs and subsequent mills located there.  ________________________________________________________________

Maps

The map below is from the 2004 edition roadmaps published by the Allegany County Department of Public Works.

Click here to view larger map.

townindependence_thumb

________________________________________________________________

External Links

CURRENT TOWN OFFICIALS

________________________________________________________________

Additional Information

CLICK HERE TO VIEW TOWN OF INDEPENDENCE/VILLAGE OF WHITESVILLE RELATED ARTICLES

CLICK HERE TO VIEW TOWN OF INDEPENDENCE/VILLAGE OF WHITESVILLE PHOTO GALLERY

CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON INDEPENDENCE/WHITESVILLE VETERANS

CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON INDEPENDENCE/WHITESVILLE CEMETERIES

CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON INDEPENDENCE/WHITESVILLE SCHOOLS

CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON ANDREW SHERWOOD, REVOLUTIONARY WAR SOLDIER

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE 1884 INDEPENDENCE/WHITESVILLE BUSINESS DIRECTORY

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE 1865 INDEPENDENCE/WHITESVILLE CENSUS

________________________________________________________________

TPL_BEEZ2_ADDITIONAL_INFORMATION