WARD (1856): This is the last of our 29 townships to be formed. The town was named in honor of Judge Hamilton Ward from Belmont who was a former state attorney general. His portrait hangs in our County Court House. Formed from parts of Alfred Amity by action of the Board of Supervisors on November 26, 1856; action of the board being legalized April 2, 1857.The first town meeting was held at the home of N. H. Reynolds, March 3, 1857.
The map below is from the 2004 edition roadmaps published by the Allegany County Department of Public Works. Click on the map for a larger view.
|Town of Ward|