WILLING (1851): Charles Willing was one of the original owners of the Willing & Francis Tracts of land and was so honored by the founders. The hamlet of Hallsport was named for an early settler named Calvin Hall while Stannard’s Corner’s was named after John Stannards who kept the first hotel there. Very little remains today of a hamlet called Stone Dam, which took its name from a dam on a creek, built to provide water to operate a mill. Our Indian culture influence is also evident here with the hamlet of Shongo, named in honor of prominent Chief Shongo. Formed from Independence and Scio November 19, 1851.
The map below is from the 2004 edition roadmaps published by the Allegany County Department of Public Works.
Click here to view larger map.