MUSEUM NOW OPEN!!
SPRING HOURS (until Memorial Day)
Saturdays - Noon 'til 3:00 p.m.
Wednesdays - 10:00 a.m. 'til 3:00 p.m.
We also offer Special Hours & Visits "By Appointment" --Contact: Ron Taylor, ACHS President - Cell: (585)610-8668
Museum is Operated with Volunteers alternating between Allegany County Historical Society & Andover Historical Society.
On this page below you will find our latest website changes and releases. Check daily!
- "About Us" - Our Staff & Hours (ACHS) -- ACHS Constitution & By-Laws
- ACHS Membership Application (rev.1-2-16)
Most Recently Published Items........ and catalog list of hundreds of "articles" published on this website.... just click the item and it will appear!
(Click on text for pop-up with additional information.
- Updated: Alfred East Valley Cemetery
- "STOUT FAMILY TEXTILE DISPLAY" available to view presented by ACHS! (CLICK FOR MORE DETAILS)
- Addendum to ALFRED RURAL CEMETERY released 1/2017
- Obituary, David Slocum (1827-1915)
- Obituary, Elizabeth Reading Bassett (1832-1915)
- Allegany County Watersheds (1940)
- Highway Peaks of Allegany County (1940)
- Scio Train Accident, 1856
- Updated: Andover Civil War Veterans, In Depth
- Updated: Andover World War I Veterans; Andover World War II Veterans
- Updated: Stannards Cemetery 2/2017
- New: Andover Veterans - Deaths (those who have died in the past several decades)
- New: Andover Men & Women Who Have Died in Service
- Andover War of 1812 Veterans (updated); Andover Vietnam Veterans (updated with added service information)
- More updates for Andover veterans: Andover Peace-Time Veterans; Persian Gulf War Veterans
- Andover veterans updated: Andover Men & Women, All Wars; All Veterans Buried in Andover; Grenada & Lebanon War Veterans; Panama War Veterans; Korean War Veterans
- More cemetery updates (Andover): Cole-Dike Cemetery (Elm Valley); Gate of Heaven Cemetery; St. Johns Cemetery; Valley Brook Cemetery
- Updated, in Andover: Baker Cemetery; East Valley/Eddy Cemetery; Hillside Cemetery; Kemp/Leonard Cemetery (Elm Valley); and McCormick Cemetery
- Obituaries: Melissa Baker, d. 1915, Ceres, Pa., formerly of Andover; John Henry Kemp (1834-1915) of Andover; Lucretia (Hincher) Wood (1838-1915), of Andover
- ANDOVER HISTORICAL SOCIETY Meetings Announced
- Obituary, Annis Z. (Lanphear) Langworthy, of Andover (1914)
- Obituary, Amanda M. (Berry) Galusha (ca. 1821-1904) of Belmont
- Obituary, Frank R. Hincher, of Andover, descendent of early area pioneer William Hincher (1914)
- National Aluminum plant burns in Wellsville, major fire, $250,000 loss (1914)
- Nitroglycerine factory destroyed in Bolivar (1913)
- Alma Hill -- From "PEAKS OF ALLEGANY" by Hubert Bliss, Owner/Editor the former newspaper, Allegany County Democrat.
- A Visit to Alma Hill -- Ice Cave; Elevation Marker; Fire Tower & more
- Gas explosion at Bolivar Breeze office kills one employee (1904)
- Photos from September's Local History Awareness Week (photos by Craig Braack)
- Edward J. Atwood, Quiet Benefactor to Andover Town and Community
- The 1876 murder of Cyrenus Howland, in Wellsville
- BAKERS BRIDGE HISTORICAL SOCIETY October Newsletter Released
- Richburg-Wirt Historical Society: "NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM", Nov. 4th (details); & Last Meeting of the Year 2016 - Nov 7th
- Andover historical Society Monthly Meeting & Program....(click) 10/26....details
- Thelma Rogers Genealogical & Historical Society November 2016 Newsletter
- History Preservation Roundtable of Allegany County Meeting October 27th
- New Listing: Black Creek Cemetery, Town of New Hudson. A-C / D-H / I-M / N-S / T-Z
- Eliza Wood, 1st white female born in the Town of Independence
- Obituaries: Jeremiah Clarke (1825-1914); Henry Bullard (1820-1914); Harriet Mills (1861-1926); A. Elizabeth (Rhinevault) Herrick (1839-1914)
- Obituaries: Fred H. Roberts (d.1907); Olivia Karr Dimmick (d.1914); James McGinty (d.1914)
- Seneca Oil Spring Reservation
- Cole-Dike Cemetery Historical Roadside Sign Dedication - Elm Valley, Town of Andover NY
- First Independence Town Meeting in 1821 is recalled
- Obituaries: Ethel Clair Kemp (1895-1950); Mary Kemp (1890-1915); Herman Lehman (1882-1974); Roxie Hann Swain (1858-1942)
- Cutbacks and/or improvements on the Erie Railroad--two articles, two interpretations (1904)
- Andover gets a new post office (1913)
- Peet, Bassett purchase the Whitesville News (1913)
- Cuba Lake: Debate about its outlets (1904)
- Henry S. Norton (1815-1904) - a county pioneer
- Allegany County's first murder among settlers, in 1803
- Andover Free Library opens in 1913 (includes library history)
- Bakers Bridge Biennial Trash & Treasures Sale is Saturday, August 20
- Oil Skirmish on the Reese farm in Scio in 1904
- Obituary for former U.S. Congressman David P. Richardson, of Angelica, who died in 1904.
- Bulk-tainers of Andover NY
- Old Building at 25 Main Street, Andover, Torn Down - A little history of the building.