Here you will find our latest website changes and releases. Check daily!
- "About Us" - Our Staff & Hours (ACHS) -- ACHS Constitution & By-Laws --- ACHS Membership Application (rev.1-2-16)
Recently Added NEWSLETTERS from around the county....
Ø Allegany County Historical Society (ACHS) 4th Qtr 2015
Most Recently Published Items........ and catalog list of hundreds of "articles" published on this website.... just click the item and it will appear!
(Click on text for pop-up with additional information.)
- The First Airplane Flight Over Allegany County (1911)
- Cornelia Stone of Cuba, N.Y., marries Governor-elect Porter of Indiana (1881)
- Deaths at Allegany County Home, 1904-1920; parial listing from newspapers articles
- Lynch-McCormick Farm, Andover NY-History........ pictures added
- Dewey H. Pinney retires from Alma Station, Empire Gas & Fuel
- A Brief History of both EMPIRE GAS & FUEL COMPANY, LTD., and BRADLEY PRODUCING CORPORATION. CLICK HERE
- What was the Boandga Club? An answer in story form from local Oil & Gas Newsletter of Employees.
- An 1850 Letter from Sophia Moore of Rushford
- The Genesee Country Village and Museum, in Mumford
- Our County Muddle: Allegany County Politics in 1881
- Obituaries: Judson Jacobs (Independence, d.1912); Levi J.F. Adams (Andover, 1833-1912); Bryan Patten (Andover, 1828-1912); Hannah Williams (Stannards, 1826-1910)
- Updated: The History of the Andover Fire Department
- Updated information on Andover veterans: All Veterans Buried in Andover; Andover Men and Women in All Wars; Andover Peace Time Veterans; Andover Civil War Veterans; Andover Civil War Veterans in Depth; Andover Grenada & Lebanon War Veterans; Andover Panama War Veterans; Andover Korean War Veterans; Andover Vietnam Deaths; Andover World War II Veterans
- New Andover Cemetery added: McCormick Cemetery
- Andover Cemeteries Updated: St. Johns Cemetery, Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Valley Brook Cemetery, Hillside Cemetery
- 1950 Octagon Baseball League Schedule
- Dozens of photos of headstones at Palmer Cemetery in Scio have been added to our Gallery, with our thanks to Bob Heavener.
- Many photos from Amy Burgett have been added to our Gallery's Cemetery sections, including Alfred Rural Cemetery, Hillside Cemetery (Andover), Stannards Cemetery (Willing), Yorks Corners Cemetery (Willing), and Rockville aka Irish Cemetery (Belfast)
- Nancy Howe Auditorium January Presentations
- A history of Friendship's Morse & Rices' barrel and box factory, and their hardware store, which also sold an assortment of cheese factory equipment (1880)
- Andover Methodist Episcopal Church Celebrates 70 Years (1910)
- Obituary, Julia (Langdon) Barber, formerly of Belmont, and widow of Amzi Barber, known as the "Asphalt King" (1911)
- Practicing physicians in Allegany County in 1880
- Obituary: John Vorhees, who lost three sons in the Civil War
- Wages of the Erie Railroad, 1880
- Obituaries: Harriet (Davis) Baxter (Mrs. James Baxter); Bernard Brady
- Belfast Celebration Includes John L. Sullivan, William Muldoon, Ex Gov. William Sulzer (1914)
- Belmont High School Commencement (1911)
- Andover Woolen Factory - A short history...
- Plans for a County Highway System (1912)
- Obituary for Lester Dyke, apparently a grandson of Nathaniel Dyke
- Biographical information on James Baxter, founder of the Baxter Academy of Music, in Friendship.
- Obituary: Catherine A. Halbert
- Former President Theodore Roosevelt Speaks in Wellsville (1910)
- Recollections of Kelloggville, Rush Creek and East Rushford
- Obituaries: Helen Josephine White Gilbert, and Jennie Litchard Gilbert
- Suffrage: Annual County Convention of Political Equality Clubs Meets in Richburg (1911)
- Another Trip Among Early Records of Allegany County (1880)
- Belmont High School Commencement (1910)
- Group Formed for Electric Trolley from Wellsville to Bolivar (1910)
- Obituary for John E. Middaugh, of Belmont, who died in 1910. Capt. Middaugh was a veteran of the Civil War.
- The new First National Bank building opens its doors in Wellsville (1906). This building still stands on the southwest corner of Main and Madison, in Wellsville.
- Workmen Test Banks of Caneadea Gorge for Dam Foundation (Rushford)
- East Rushford Sinks into Oblivion Behind Big Dam
- Obituary, Mrs. Charles L. Metcalf, of Rushford
- A history of mills in Rushford
- Cornerstone Laid at New Village Hall in Belmont, 1910
- County Conclave of Suffragists Meets in Andover (1910)
- Those Who Served in the Korean Conflict (Rushford)
- Nancy Howe Auditorium Scheduled Events - October thru December 2015
- An account of declining population of East Rushford, and Two Poems prompted by the decline
- Early County History: Among the Archives of the County Clerk (1880)
- Friendship's Early History: Among the Archives of the County Clerk (1880)
- The First Telephones in Friendship (1880)
- Rush Creek Wesleyan Church Sold & Abandoned (1926)
- History Preservation Roundtable of Allegany County Meeting October 22
- Rushford Celebrates Its Semi-Centennial (1859)
- Those Who Served in World War II (Rushford, N.Y.)
- Those Who Served in World War I (Rushford, N.Y.)
- Interesting Manuscript Was Found; Original Rushford History read in 1859 at "Semicentennial" and reprinted in 1917
- The First Burying Ground in Rushford--History written June 1918 by Helen White Gilbert
- ACHS Meeting, Public Welcome; more.......
- Soldiers of the Civil War (Rushford, N.Y.)
- Soldiers of the Revolutionary War buried in Rushford
- Soldiers of the War of 1812, buried in Rushford
- The Flood of 1864, in Rushford
- 1915, 1916, 1917 Reports of Town Clerk, Town of Rushford, N.Y.: Births, Marriages, Deaths
- Logging Industry Thrives in Rushford (1917)
- Wellsville's Madison Street Bridge Nears Completion (1900)
- Belmont High School Commencement ( 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909)
- Excavators unearth planks from the Angelica-Rushford (N.Y.) plank road (1915).
- Carlton Gordon opens auto repair garage in Rushford (1915)
- A Relic of Rushford. School Register found, reports many names of early settlers.
- Allegany's Population - 1900; Report of numbers for Allegany County Population with gains/losses in each Town since 1890
- 1886-1887-1888-1889-1890 Reports of Rushford Historian; Births, Deaths, Marriages