Here you will find our latest website changes and releases. Check daily!
Our Society Office & Genealogy Research Center is presently open at Room 201, David A. Howe Public Library, Wellsville NY as follows:
Call to verify hours (subject to volunteer availability)
Thursday - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm -- Office phone: 585-610-8181. Effective June 1, 2013, all other times are by appointment. Make arrangements by calling Ron Taylor (cell) 585-610-8668.
Most Recently Published Items........
- INDEPENDENCE HISTORICAL SOCIETY announces special July Hours
- The 1895 Canaseraga Fire - A Village in Ruins. "In a matter of two hours early in the morning on March 28, 1895, the business district and 34 residences in Canaseraga were consumed in one of the most devastating fires ever experienced in Allegany County." 6/12/13
- Auto Racing Enthusiasts....CUBA LAKE RACEWAY....2013 YOUR Inviation to Lunch at Cuba.
- Our "Collections Management Policy" is publicly available at "About Us"
- Obituaries are constantly being added to Obituaries, Allegany County; Example: "Patrick Melody died at the home of his son, Thos. Melody, on Brimmer Brook in his ninety-ninth year. Death was due to Old Age." 1805-1903
- Diary & Photos of Kathryn Snowdon Barnes; Allentown, Alma, Petrolia news, notes and photos. A few old Allentown School Classes, ca.1905
- More Coats Family Furniture "Uncovered"; Another piece discovered in Ohio--Have YOU checked your furniture to discover if it is Coats? Join the fun........Story and photos here
- Family Genealogical Record of the descendants of Freeman Clark, of Scio. 5/29/13
- In the early 1900's several men from Wellsville created the Diamond King Mining Company, with the goal of developing diamond and gold fields in Brazil. We've included a newspaper article from the time, as well as several annual reports from the company. 5/29/13
- Almond Historical Society announces Annual Strawberry Festival....June 24
- Thelma Rogers Genealogical & Historical Society Program, June 5 & June Newsletter
The Letters of Rufus Alonzo Cady. Cady wrote many letters to his older sister, “Juty” (Jerusha Cady Howe), while he served in Company I of the New York 5th Volunteers, Heavy Artillery during the Civil War. Born on November 24, 1837 in Hunt (near Portage), NY, Livingston County, Rufus enlisted on December 21, 1863 in Scio. Letters transcribed by Madeline O. Scott and Skip Testut. 5/15/13
Pittsburgh-Shawmut-Northern Railroad Right-of-Way photos. These photos depict the present (2013) view of the PS&N RR right of way between Richburg and Friendship. Thanks to the photographer, Richard Langdon, of the Friendship-Nile Historical Society, we can view where the coal cars used to travel “over the Notch” to Friendship and beyond. 5/14/13
Email Contact: Webmaster