WIDOW SMITH'S SCHOOL:
Most likely the oldest school in Allegany County, the Widow Smith started teaching in Angelica in 1804. The school was located very near the present day American Hotel. It had been speculated the building had been moved and until only recently during some remodeling of his home on East Main Street, Jim Fleming unearth the original chalkboards along with school books that had long been buried inside the walls. The western portion of the home was the original Widow Smith's schoolhouse. The eastern, two story addition was added later.
Story & photo by Bob Dorsey