Town & Village of Almond, N.Y.
- Parent Category: Towns A-E
Top Picks: Almond History Related Articles & Stories Almond Schools
ALMOND (1821): Almond was not named after the event of a young man selling a tray of various nuts at the first town meeting. The almond nut was nowhere near pioneer western New York in 1821. The truth is the first settlers here were Scottish from the Almond River valley just a few miles west of Edinburgh Scotland. The climate and vegetation here is similar to “the old country” and like many other place names in the eastern U.S., their roots are European. Many years ago “Scotty” MacCrea of Alfred visited this part of Scotland. He confirmed that the Scottish pronunciation is “Ellmund” and definitely not “Ahhmind”. This is why locals here today pronounce it “Ellmond.” Also in the township, about 4 miles west on County Road # 2 is a hamlet of Karrdale. Various KARR families were the first settlers in the valley. In the northeast corner of the town is the hamlet of Bishopville named for an early settler named Bishop. Part of the Pulteney Estate, Almond was taken from Alfred by an act of Legislature March 16, 1821.
The map below is from the 2004 edition roadmaps published by the Allegany County Department of Public Works.
Click here to view larger map.