CUBA (1822): Why Cuba was given its name has always been a matter of conjecture. John S. Minard's "Civic History of Cuba," published in 1910, tells us that "Cuba is a Roman word and means Goddess or Protector of the Young. So in all probability, the Legislators of 1822, when they set aside the township from the town of Friendship, by accident, stumbled upon the word and appropriated the name, the significance of which is pleasant to think of." Simeon DeWitt, the surveyor general for New York State in the early 1800s, was an avid student of ancient Roman Mythology and is credited with suggesting the name. (Source: "Cuba, New York" Prepared by David H. Crowley, Town and Village of Cuba Historian.)
The maps below are from the 2004 edition roadmaps published by the Allegany County Department of Public Works.
|Town of Cuba||Village of Cuba|
See also larger view of town of Cuba.
See also larger view of village of Cuba.
The following map shows the village of Cuba as it was in 1856. It is from a map of Allegany County published by Gillette, Matthews, & Co. in 1856.
Cuba in 1856
See also a larger view of this map of Cuba from 1856.
- CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE WILLIAM J. GLENN DEATH NOTICE (Doorkeeper, House of Representatives, d.1902)
(Includes Peter Sprague's submittal & article; "A Life in the Southern Tier of NY & Northern PA Oil Country".....by Neal K. Wilson; "Erie J. Wilson"; "Nitroglycerine"; "Music Mountain"; & "Things Remembered While Reading Tug Hill Country.")