Town of Independence & Village of Whitesville
INDEPENDENCE (1821): Town was formed from Alfred, March 16, 1821. Andover was taken off January 28, 1824 and a part of Willing taken off November 19, 1851. At one time called Green’s Corners after Luther Green who settled there in 1820. Speculation abounds regarding the name and origin of Independence, but the hamlet of Whitesville was named in honor of Samuel S. White, an early prominent citizen who settled there in 1819 and built the first hotel & kept the first store. The hamlet of Spring Mills most likely derives its name from the many springs and subsequent mills located there. ________________________________________________________________
The map below is from the 2004 edition roadmaps published by the Allegany County Department of Public Works.
Click here to view larger map.