Alfred Town & Village
(1879 “History of Allegany County,NY”- F.W.Beers & Co., 36 Vesey Street, NY,NY)
George F. Allen, farmer and owner of one hundred acres of land, was born in Alfred in 1832. His parents were George W. and Lydia Allen, the former having been a resident of Allegany county since 1817. Mr. Allen was married in 1855 to Miss Olive Burdick, of Alfred.
Baylies S. Bassett, son of John C. and Elizabeth Bassett, was born in 1821 in Delaware county, and came to Allegany county with his parents about 1826. He remained until 1865, at which date he removed to Canisteo, Steuben county, and, in 1876 returned to Allegany county, making Alfred Centre his residence. Mr. Bassett married Miss Esther Crandall of Independence, in 1849. He is a farmer and lumberman.
Silas Benjamin, son of Thomas Benjamin, was born in 1825 in Alfred, and removed to Wisconsin in 1844, locating in Albion, where he was married to Miss Aseneth Lyon. During the Rebellion he enlisted and served a term of four years in Company I, 12th Wisconsin volunteers. The family returned to Allegany county in 1875, and Mr. Benjamin purchased eighty acres of land in Alfred, where he now resides.
John Bennett was born in Milo, Yates county, in 1820. In 1842 he married Mis Jane Ackley, of the same town, and removed to Alfred in 1851, purchasing 100 acres of land, on lot number 42, upon which he has since lived. They have a family of two children.
Frank M. Beya was born in Hector, Tompkins county, in 1842, and came to Alfred with his parents in 1850. He married Miss Hattie M. Burdick, of Alfred, in 1864. The same year Mr. Beya enlisted in Company I, 179th NY infantry, and was wounded at the battle of Petersburg, June 17th, 1864.
W. H. Burch, a native of Dansville, Livingston county, was born in 1851, and came to Alfred with his parents in 1853. His marriage with Miss Emma M. Stearns, of Andover, occurred in 1872. He is engaged in farming.
Amos Burdick, a native of Westerly, Washington county, Rhode Island, was born in 1794. In 1802 he accompanied his parents to Brookfield, Madison county, where he remained until 1816, when he started for Allegany county on foot, and arrived in Alfred in December. In 1818 he was married to Miss Ancis Clark of Brookfield. He took up one hundred acres of lot number 19. After living upon his farm twenty years, he removed to the village of Alfred. He has been engaged in keeping hotel for thirteen years, and in the mercantile business in partnership with his son for sixteen years. Mr. & Mrs. Burdick are among the oldest members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Asa C. Burdick, son of Asa and Susanna Burdick, was born in Alfred in 1821. In 1842 he married Miss Tacy Green, and in 1855 they went to Wisconsin, where he enlisted in 1861 and served three years in Company K, 13th Wisconsin volunteers, as hospital nurse and ward master. They returned to Alfred in 1867, where he works at his trade, that of a carpenter and joiner. Mr. Burdick has filled the office of superintendent of common schools.
Daniel T. Burdick, cheese manufacturer, a native of Rhode Island, was born in 1822, and came with his parents, Jeremiah and Susan Burdick, to Alfred in 1825, and has been a resident of the town since. In 1850 he married Miss Elizabeth Wood. He established his cheese factory in 1865, in which he employes one man and does an annual business of one hundred thousand pounds of cheese. Mr. Burdic has served as assessor three years. Mr. & Mrs. Burdick are members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
John C. Burdick was born in Alfred in 1826. He was engaged in business at Andover six years. In 1848 his marriage with Miss Caroline Fisher, daughter of Isaac Fisher, of Alfred, took place. Mr. Burdick has been engaged in the jewelry business at Baker’s Bridge for a long time. He employs one man, and derives from the business an annual income of $3,000. Mr. & Mrs. Burdick are both members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Levi S. Burdick, a life-long resident of Alfred, was born in 1826. He is a farmer and owns onehundred and forty acres of land, He is a member of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Mrs. Milo Burdick, daughter of David and Minerva Sherman, is a native of West Union, Steuben county. She married Milo Burdick in 1852. Mr. Burdick was engaged in farming and in the hardware business. He held the office of supervisor of the town of Ward two years. He died in 1873, aged forty-seven. They were both members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Russell W. Burdick was born in the town of Alfred in 1828. His business is farming. His wife was formerly Miss Melvina Middaugh. They have a family of seven children. They are both members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Stephen C. Burdick, a native of Rhode Island, was born in 1820. He came to Allegany county in 1825, but did not remain long before he removed to Steuben county, where he remained until 1841, at which date he returned to the county, locating in Alfred. In 1843 he married Miss Maria Burdick for his first wife. She died in 1846 and he married Miss Elizabeth Peckham, of Rhode Island. Mr. & Mrs. Burdick belong to the Seventh-Day Baptist Church. He has held the office of highway commissioner.
William R. Burdick was born in Rhode Island in 1824, and the family came to Allegany county the same year. They remained but a short time before removing to Hornellsville, Steuben county. Mr. Burdick returned to Alfred in 1851, and in 1854 was married to Miss Ellen W. Satterlee, of Hartsville. In 1856 Mr. Burdick established himself in the mercantile business. He is the present postmaster of Alfred. Mr. Burdick has held the offices of town clerk and highway commissioner, and in 1878 was elected supervisor.
Green Champlain was born in Alfred in 1832. He is a farmer and owns three hundred and five acres of land. In 1851 he married Miss Narcissa L. Crandall. She is a member of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
James A. Champlain, a native of Rhode Island, was born in 1825. Two years later he came with his father’s family to Alfred. He is a farmer and owner of two hundred and nine acres of land. He married Miss Clarissa Saunders of Alfred. They are both members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church, and have a family of three children.
Mrs. Mary Clair, wife of Lee A. Clair (who died in 1878, aged sixty-five), was born in Angelica in 1837. Her marriage with Mr. Clair occurred in 1867. In 1868 they came to Alfred. She has a family of five children.
Amos B. Collins, lawyer, was born in Alfred in 1826. He married Miss Amanda M. Osborne of Alfred, in 1846. She died in 1864, and he married for the second wife Miss Eliza J. O’Donnel, of Alfred, in 1868. Mr. Collins was admitted to the bar in 1853, and has held the office of magistrate since 1867, having been elected each successive term.
John Cook was born in Alfred, in 1828. His parents, Daniel and Honor Cook, were early settlers in the town. Mr. Cook married in 1850 to Miss Julia Paddock, of Alfred. She died in 1877. Mr. Cook is a farmer and owns one hundred and forty acres of land.
Henry Clark Coon, A.M., M.D., professor of natural sciences and chemistry in Alfred University, was born in West Edmeston, Otsego county, January 28th, 1808. His ancestors were of Scotch-Irish descent. On coming to America they settled in Rhode Island. His grandfather emigrated to West Edmeston while his father was very young. The latter, Ezra Coon, was a farmer, and Dr. Coon’s younger days were spent on the farm. And ardent lover of study, he made the most of the opportunities afforded by the common school and the village library, and at the age of nineteen he entered De Ruyter Institute as a student. He remained there five terms, after which he engaged in teaching but was compelled to abandon the work on account of failing health. Dr. Coon took his first course of medical lectures, at Bowdoin College, Me., in 1861. In 1868 he graduated from Alfred University, and received his degree of A. M. in 1871. The following year he took his second course of lectures, at the New York Homoeopathic College, and received the degree of M.D. November 21st, 1851, Dr. Coon was married to L. Elvira Stillman, a lady of superior culture and a graduate of Alfred University, and they have since been almost constantly engaged in teaching in different academies. In 1872 Dr. Coon was elected to the chair he now occupies in Alfred University.
Almond E. Crandall, merchant and banker, was born in Alfred, in 1830. His wife was formerly Miss Emma E. Sisson of Alfred. They were married in 1850, and have a family of three children. Mr. Crandall served as justice of the peace fourteen years.
Henry M. Davis, blacksmith, was born in Angelica in 1839, and was married in 1869 to Miss Susan Burdick. During the Rebellion Mr. Davis enlisted in 1862, and served three years in Company H, 1st NY Dragoons.
Joseph Edwards, a native of Rhode Island, was born in 1823, and came from that State to Alfred with his parents in 1826. He married Miss Harriet Williams, of Alfred, in 1851. They are both members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church. Mr. Edwards is a farmer, owning one hundred and eighty acres of land. He has served as assessor of the town of Ward six years.
Elisha C. Green, M.D., was born in Lebanon, Conn., in 1817. In 1838 his marriage with Miss Harriet Maxon, of Friendship, occurred. Dr. Green graduated in 1839 at the Pittsfield Medical College, Mass, and came to Alfred, from Wisconsin, in 1852. Mr. & Mrs. Green belong to the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Erastus A. Green, manufacturer of sash, blinds and doors, a native and life-long resident of Alfred, was born in 1819. Mr. Green employs four men and does an annual business of three thousand dollars in his factory. Mr. & Mrs. Green are members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Harrison W. Green, farmer and cheese manufacturer, a native of Alfred, was born in 1836. His wife was formerly Miss Polly Green, of Alfred. The marriage occurred in 1859. He served during the late war in the 1st New York Dragoons, Company H, and was imprisoned six months in Libby and Dansville prisons. He owns eighty-five acres of land. Mr. & Mrs. Green are members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Philip S. Green, wagon maker and farmer, was born in Almond, in 1818. His father’s family came to Alfred the same year. In 1844 he married Miss Olivia Place, of Andover. They belong to the Seventh-Day Baptist Church. Mr. Green has filled many official positions, among them those of town clerk, justice of sessions, and justice of the peace. The last named office he held for twenty-four years.
William A. Green, farmer, was born in Alfred in 1819, and was married in 1847, to Miss Olivia Hall of Alfred. They are both members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Giles H. Gridley, a native of Tioga county, was born in 1835. He was married in 1859 to Miss Sylvena Lamphere, of Andover. They are both members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church. Mr. Gridley came to Alfred in 1865 from Andover. He owns a farm of one hundred and thirty-eight acres.
John P. Hamilton, a native and life-long resident of Alfred was born in 1825. He married Miss Kate Saunders of Monroe county in 1844. Mr. & Mrs. Hamilton are members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
John R. Hartshorn, M.D., was born in Lebanon, Madison county, NY, in August 1813. He graduated at Fairfield Medical College at the age of twenty-one years, and settled at Alfred Centre in 1835. He was a successful practitioner and became a leading physician, extending his practice into adjacent towns over a wide district of country. As an indication of his popularity in his profession we might state that during his practice he had more than forty medical students under his instruction. In 1852 he was elected to the Legislature of this State, where he served with diligence and ability. He died June 12th, 1871, aged fifty-seven years.
Rev. Nathan V. Hull, D.D., was born in Berlin, Rensselaer county, October 18th, 1808. He was a son of Richard Hull, who, with his family, moved to Alfred in February, 1814. He preached his first sermon in November, 1832, and was pastor of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church of Clarence, Erie county, from 1833 to 1846, since which time he has been pastor of the First Seventh-Day Baptist Church of Alfred. For many years he was president of the board of trustees of Alfred University. He is now vice-president of the same body and professor of pastoral theology in the University. Since 1872 he has been editor of the Sabbath Recorder. In the infancy of the anti-slavery movement he was a candidate for member of Congress, but without expectation of being elected, as the nomination was made merely to consolidate the anti-slavery vote in the district. Dr. Hull was married July 7th, 1830 to Miss Phalla Vincent of Almond. She died February 28th, 1871. In September, 1872, Dr. Hull married Mrs. L. A. Hartshorn of Alfred.
Orlando E. P. Kaple, a native of Otsego county, was born in 1817, and came to Alfred in 1836, from Erwin, Steuben county. In 1839 he married Miss Rhoda Lamphere, of Almond. They belong to the Methodist Church. They have a family of four children, having lost five.
Henry Keller, farmer and cheese manufacturer, was born in Wayne county, in 1811, and came to Alfred in 1823, from Otsego county. In 1839 he married Miss Nancy Tolls, of Hornellsville. He manages the East Valley Cheese Factory.
Moses Kemp came to Allegany county from Massachusetts about 1828 and settled in Andover, where he remained a few years and removed to Alfred. He subsequently removed to Potter county, PA., where he died. John H. Kemp, son of Moses Kemp, was born in Andover in 1834. He accompanied his father to Alfred and has since resided there. He married Miss Laura Lewis, of Andover, in 1857.
Benjamin F. Langworthy was born in North Stonington, Conn., in 1810, and came to Alfred in 1857. He has married three times. His son, Lieutenant George Langworthy served in Company E, 85th NY volunteers, for a period of three years.
Charles D. Langworthy, a native of North Stonington, was born in 1804 and came to Alfred in 1825. In 1821 he married Miss Susan Saunders, of Rensselaer county. They have four children. Mr. Langworthy is a farmer. Both Mr. & Mrs. Langworthy are members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Alfred Lewis was born in the town of Hopkinton, R.I., in 1817. He received his education in the school of his native town and in the academy at De Ruyter, NY. Hetaught one year of school in Talbot county, MD., in 1839 and 1840. In 1840 he was married to Miss Lucy P. Langworthy, of Hopkinton, R.I. He located in Alfred in June, 1841. He was elected supervisor of Alfred five times and also filled several other offices in the town. He was one of the trustees of Alfred University from the time of its charter until his death, which occurred February 19th, 1873.
Isaac M. Langworthy was born in Genesee, in 1843, and subsequently removed to Alfred. He married Miss Ruth A. Place, of Alfred, in 1868. During the Rebellion Mr. Langworthy served three years in Company H, 1st NY Dragoons, and was imprisoned at Salisbury. He formerly worked at the carpenter and joiner’s trade, but is now engaged in farming.
Washington I. Newitt (proprietor of the Burdick House), a native of Madison county, was born in 1854, and came to Alfred in 1875. He married Miss Kittie O’Donnell, of Alfred, in 1877.
Jabish Odell was born in Rensselaer county, in 1794, and came to Alfred in 1816. The year previous to his removal (1815) he married Miss Betsy Odell of Rensselaer county. She died in 1870, aged seventy-eight. Mr. Odell is a farmer, owning one hundred and twenty-five acres of land.
Mrs. Sarah D. Ormsby, wife of Daniel O. Ormsby, and daughter of David and Cynthia Satterlee, of Alfred, was married in 1840. Mr. Ormsby was born in Beckett, Berkshire county, Mass., in 1819 and came to Alfred in 1839. He was at one time justice of the peace. During the late war he enlisted in Company B. 179th NY volunteers, and was killed in the battle of Petersburg.
Truman C. Place, a native of Rensselaer county, was born in 1811, and after living some time in Wisconsin he came to Alfred in 1845. He married Miss Susan Maxon in 1853. Their son, Benjamin F. Place, served two years in the army, in Company H. 1st NY Dragoons, and was killed in 1864. Mr. & Mrs. Place belong to the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
William O. Place, carpenter and joiner, a native of Milton, Rock county, Wisconsin, was born in 1840, and came with his parents in 1845 to Alfred. He served three years in Company H, 1st NY Dragoons during the Rebellion, and participated in the battles of Suffolk, Deserted Farm and in other engagements. In 1866 he was married to Miss De Ette Bardwin, of Brookfield, Madison county, NY. She is a member of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Elisha Potter, carpenter and joiner, was born in Rhode Island, in 1806, and came to Alfred in 1824. In 1828 he married Miss Miranda B. Maxson, of Rensselaer county. Mr. Potter was a wool carder and cloth dresser by trade, and in 1835 he erected the woolen factory in Whitney Valley, now owned by Nathan G. Hadsell. Mrs. Potter died in 1847, and in 1853 Mr. Potter married Miss Eleanor Sheppard, of Greenwich, NJ. They belong to the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Ezra Potter was born in Westerly, Rhode Island, in 1814, and came to Alfred in 1823. He was one of the early settlers in the county and prominent among the farmers. His wife was Miss Content Sisson. They were married in 1837. In 1874 Mr. Potter died, aged sixty. His widow resides with her daughter and son-in-law, Mr. F.W. Hamilton.
Jerome N. Potter is a life-long resident of Alfred; was born here in 1841. His marriage with Miss Sarah A. Thomas, of Alfred, occurred in 1861. They have a family of five children. Mr. Potter is a farmer and owns one hundred and ninety acres of land. Mr. And Mrs. Potter are members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Henry Saunders was born in Alfred in 1844. He married Mis Laura Compton, of Kilburn City, Wisconsin, in 1871. They have a family of three children. Mr. & Mrs. Saunders are members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
William M. Saunders, farmer, was born in Alfred in 1814. His wife was Miss Sally Place. They were married in 1834. They are members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church. They have a family of four children.
John R. Shaw, son of Anthony and Dinah Shaw, was born in Stephentown, Rensselaer county in 1813. He came to Allegany county in 1829 in company with his brother, Phineas Shaw, and purchasing one hundred acres of land of James Alexander, erected a dwelling and has since resided upon the place. In 1832 he married Miss Tacy Burdick for his first wife. She died in 1850, and in 1851 he married Miss Mary Williams, of Alfred. They belong to the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Frederick Sherman, a native of Herkimer county, was born in 1823, and came to Alfred in 1836. He married Miss Marilla Place, of Alfred, in 1845. They have one daughter. Mrs. Sherman died in 1876, aged fifty-four. Mr. Sherman is engaged in farming.
Albert Smith, a native and resident of Alfred, was born in 1817. He is a son of Elias and Content Smith. He married Miss Aseneth Allen, daughter of Joseph and Rachael Allen, of Hopkinton, Rhode Island. They belong to the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Peleg Thomas, a native of Petersburg, Rensselaer county, was born in 1831, and came to Alfred in 1846. His marriage with Miss Harriet Clair, of Alfred, occurred in 1855. Mr. Thomas is one of the present assessors of the town and has held the office during the past nine years. He is a farmer, and owns two hundred and fifty-three acres of land.
William M. Truman, M.D., was born in Preston, Chemung county, in 1813, and in 1840 came to Allegany county, locating in Richburg, and subsequently removed to Alfred. Dr. Truman graduated at the Fairfield Medical College in 1834. The same year he married Miss Huldah L. Babcock, of Cortland county. His son Albert Truman is a physician and is pursuing the practice of his profession in Madison county. Dr. W.M. Truman has served nine years as coroner of Allegany County.
Daniel G. Vincent, cabinet maker, was born in Berlin, Rensselaer county, in 1812, and came to Alfred with his parents in 1820. He married Miss Lucretia Maxon of Alfred in 1838. They are members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church. Mr. Vincent has held the office of justice of the peace each successive term since 1854.
Nathan J. Willis, manufacturer of boots and shoes, a native of Windsor, VT., was born in 1843, and came to Alfred in 1876 from Jacksonville, Ill. He enlisted in 1861 and served two years in Bates battery, 1st NY light artillery, and in 1864 enlisted a second time, in the 15th NY heavy artillery. He was wounded at Spottsylvania, and lost his left leg below the knee.
Clark L. Witter, farmer and proprietor of the Alfred House, was born in Almond in 1822. He married Miss Elizabeth Burdick, of Alfred, in 1844. They have a family of two children.
Horace G. Witter, farmer, was born in Brookfield, Madison county, NY., in 1814, and came to Alfred. He was elected justice of the peace in 1850, and has held the office each successive year since, and served as supervisor two years. He married Miss Lorinda Hamilton in 1836. She died in 1873, and in 1875 Mr. Witter was married to Huldah Hall, of Berlin, Rensselaer county. They are members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.
Stillman B. Witter, farmer, was born in Madison county in 1812, and came to Alfred in 1834. He married Miss Laura L. Burdick, of Alfred in 1837. They are members of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.