Next to come was Dr. Thaddeus Baker, born in Poultney, Rutland Co., Vt. on Aug. 31, 1806, the son of Thaddeus Baker.  In his early manhood he began the study of medicine with Dr. Anthony Barney of Independence and completed the same with Dr. Charles of Angelica, both prominent physicians in the early history of this section of the county. He also taught school in various parts of the county during this time.  He was admitted to the practice of medicine and surgery upon examination in 1838 and licensed granted by the Medical Society of Allegany County in the year 1841. He loved this area and practiced medicine here in Andover until the autumn of 1881, then went to live with his son Dr. Favious J. Baker of Lockport, N.Y.  He thought so much of his fellow man; they stripped him of most of his earthly possessions.  This was a huge factor in the mental and physical decline in his later years.  He died on June 11, 1888 and is buried in the Hillside Cemetery here in Andover.

The next to come was Dr. John J. Harmon.  He was born on May 6, 1817 in Almond, N.Y.  He attended Alfred University and studied medicine with Drs. Hartshorne and Rider.  He graduated from the Geneva Medical College in 1844 and located here in Andover.  He practiced for fifteen years and then relinquished his practice.  He also was supervisor of Andover for several years.  He died on June 18, 1884.  There was nothing else written about him as there were no newspapers in 1884.  He is buried in Hillside Cemetery here in Andover. Along came Dr. William W. Crandall, born in Genesee, Allegany Co., N.Y. on March 23, 1828.  At 17 years of age he started teaching school in Independence.  He later taught in Steuben Co. and still later in Rhode Island.   He was educated at Alfred Academy and Brown University, Providence, R.I.  He was granted a State license in New York for Public Instruction.

In 1855 he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. H.P; Saunders, in the office of Hartshorne & Saunders at Alfred, N.Y.  He was a graduate from the University of New York, March 8, 1858, with a degree of Doctor of Medicine, and also received a certificate of honor for having mastered more than the required course of study.  He also graduated from the Ophthalmic Hospital of New York.  The spring and summer months of 1858 were passed in London and other cities of England, where he sought advancement in his profession by studying and observing in the medical schools and hospitals of the mother country.

He started his practice in the fall of 1858 here in Andover, with Dr. John J. Harmon.  When Dr. Harmon relinquished his practice and went into merchandising and private banking around the year 1869, Dr. Crandall took over the practice. At some point in time, he moved his practice to Wellsville, N.Y., unknown date.

Dr. Crandall was a member of the Elmira and Hornellsville Academies of Medicine; was President of the Allegany County Medical Society in 1879, and Vice President of the New York Sate Medical Society in 1891.  He was by far the most educated for that time and it is said that he hardly ever charged the very poor for his service, and it is written that they received the very best of treatment.  Dr. William W. Crandall died March 19, 1899 in Wellsville, N.Y. and is buried in Alfred Rural Cemetery, Alfred, N.Y.

Our next doctor was Dr. Edwin M. Stillman.  He was born in Almond, on December 12, 1841.  He attended school at Alfred University, studied medicine with Dr. C. D. Robinson and Dr. William W. Crandall in Andover and was graduated from the Buffalo Medical College in 1865.  He practiced his profession for six months in his native town of Almond and then came to Andover to practice with Dr. Crandall for four years, then practiced six and a half years in Alfred.  In the fall of 1874, he returned to Andover to practice and since 1879 was also in the drug business.  He was a member of the County Medical Society and was licensed by the State Board of Pharmacy.  Dr. Stillman was also the postmaster of Andover for three years and town clerk for two terms.  Dr. Stillman was still practicing medicine at the time of his death on December 5, 1898.  He is buried in Valley Brook Cemetery, Andover.

Next on the list is Dr. Albert E.V. Durand, born in Philadelphia, Pa, in April 3, 1827 and raised in Rochester, N.Y.  As a young man, he passed through this area and fell in love with it and moved here in the year 1855.  I have nothing on his education or where he obtained it.

On September 19, 1864 at the age of 37 he enlisted at Andover to serve one year in Company “C” of the 141st Regular New York Volunteer Infantry.  He was with General Sherman from Atlanta to Savannah, Georgia.  Once there he was detailed to take care of the dispensary.  He was discharged on July 10, 1865 at Mower Hospital in Philadelphia, Pa.        He died on July 9, 1872 and is buried in Hillside Cemetery, here in Andover.

Dr. Norman P. Brainard is next on the list; he was born on June 14, 1849 in Belfast, N.Y.  He started out in the mercantile business here in Andover around 1867, but his ambition was to be a physician.  He graduated from the Medical Department of the New York University of New York City in 1878, and immediately located in Andover. For 39 years he tenderly ministered to the sick and suffering of this community.  He too was known for his compassion for his fellow man.  Always ready to go, no matter the time of day, nor the type of weather.  It is written in his obituary that he literally wore himself out in the service for humanity.   Dr. Brainard died on April 15, 1917 and is buried in Hillside Cemetery, Andover.

Dr. Francis E. Comstock was born here in Andover on September 8, 1860. He obtained the usual education of that early time and graduated from the University of New York and Bellevue hospital.   He at once came back to Andover and practiced for three years with Dr. Brainard.  In 1885, Dr. Comstock received a diploma from the State Pharmaceutical Association.  He passed the year 1886 in the London, England, hospital then returned to Andover and in 1891 took a post-graduate course at Philadelphia and returned to Andover to practice. He was a member of the County Medical Society and Hornellsville Medical and Surgical Association and the lodge of F. & A. M., No. 558.  I don’t know the year, but Dr. Comstock moved from Andover and started practicing in Wellsville, N.Y. until the time of his death.  He died on December 10, 1931 and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, in Wellsville.

Dr. Charles W. O’Donnell was born in Andover on November 18, 1860.  He attended Andover Union School and Alfred University and in 1884 he graduated from the University of New York. Also in 1884 he formed a partnership with Dr. William W. Crandall and was a student of his for three years, and practiced nearly three years as his partner.  In 1890 Dr. O’Connell took a post graduate course at the New York Polytechnic Institute.  He was also a member of the lodge of F. & A. M., No. 558.  In 1880 he became a full-fledged physician and surgeon, becoming one of the youngest physicians to attain the distinction.

Dr. Charles W. O’Donnell died on January 28, 1937 at the age of 77.  He was well known by all. He served Andover for 50 years.  He had an extensive practice, covering not only the village of Andover, but the territory nine miles surrounding the village.

The next doctor in line was Dr. William H. Loughhead.  He was born in Elmira on April 6, 1861.  He received his education in that city and at the Buffalo Medical College, besides a post-graduate course at Chicago.  He has practiced medicine at Troupsburg, N.Y., Newfield, Pa. Pine City, and Nile before coming to Andover in October 1906. He was a heart specialist and very well known all over western New York. He practiced in Andover for six years and was still working until his death on September 12, 1912.  He is buried in Hillside Cemetery, here in Andover.

Dr. Edward J. Loughlen was next to appear in Andover.  He was born in Portage, N.Y on March 16, 1852.  He received his preliminary education at the Pike and Lima Seminaries, then pursued his medical studies at the New York City University, from which he graduated in 1879.  He completed his preparation at the Chicago Post Graduate Medical School.

Dr. Loughlen first located in Andover and practiced medicine for a year with Dr. William W. Crandall. Then went to Knapp’s Creek near Bradford, Pa. and practiced for three years.  In 1884 he moved to Blunt, South Dakota, where he practiced medicine until his return to Andover in 1896. He practiced here for 31 years and died on August 2, 1926. He is buried in Valley Brook Cemetery, here in Andover. Sometime around 1925, a Dr. H. G. Storner arrived in Andover.  There isn’t much written about him except when he left, he went to Olean to work with a Dr. Van Campen, who was the medical director of the Westside Hospital in Olean.  He ended his practice here on September 1, 1927.

The next to arrive in Andover was Dr. Samuel B. Scott and he came highly recommended.  Dr. Scott was born in Monroe, Virginia, on Feb. 11, 1901. His father and two of his brothers were also doctors.  Dr. Scott received his degree of Bachelor of Science at the University of Virginia in 1922.  He then graduated from the University of Virginia, Department of Medicine in 1926. He received his hospital experience at Burkville, Virginia, and the city hospital at Buffalo, N.Y. and was the assistant to Dr. O’Mara of New York City.

Dr. Scott arrived in Andover in the middle of January 1927 and opened his office in the one left vacant by Dr. Storner in the Smith house on Main St. At some point in time, Dr. Scott moved his office and home to 7 East Center St. here in Andover.  There he ran his business until July 1, 1966, when he retired due to health problems after 40 years of service.  Upon retirement Dr. Scott and wife moved to South Chatham, Virginia.  He died on August 23, 1979 and is buried in Lynchburg, Virginia.

Dr. Howard J. Leahy arrived back in Andover sometime around September, 1933.  Dr. Leahy graduated from Andover High School in 1924 and received his bachelor degree in science from Fordham University at New York in 1928. He received his medical degree from Georgetown Medical College at Washington, D.C. in 1932 and served as intern in the Sisters of Charity Hospital in Buffalo. After that he came to Andover and practiced medicine in the McLaughlin building on the corner of Main and West Center Streets.  In 1948 Dr. Leahy closed his doors and moved to Mississippi where he was assigned to the Veterans Administration staff at the Jackson General Hospital.  He died on June 8, 1979.

After Dr. Samuel Scott retired from business, Andover was without a doctor.  Efforts were made to secure one but nothing happened.  In June of 1966 a citizens committee was formed to find doctors to come here to practice their skills. The funding for this project was raised by residents of the community and the Chamber of Commerce.  In December of 1966 a Medical Center was opened in the old Lynch-Burgett American Legion Hall.  The downstairs rooms were renovated to accommodate a waiting room, business office, two examining rooms, a Pediatric room, lab and doctor’s office.  Dr. Abraham Rabin of Hornell and Dr. Alan Folsom of Alfred were the first doctors to use this center.

Sometime later Dr. Abraham Rabin left and then on February 27. 1970 Dr. Alan Folsom left. The center remained closed until September 18, 1972 before it was reopened again.  Doctors Frank C. Miller Jr. and Dr. Daniel V. Tartaglia III, were assigned here by the United States Public Health Service for a period of two years.  They were assisted by two nurses and a receptionist.

On April 27, 1973 the old Joyce Hotel burned down. In 1974 the property was purchased by the Rural Management Associates of Allegany County, a non-profit corporation which operates the Andover Medical Center, as a future site for a new medical center.  If a new medical center is built there, $7,500 will be donated toward the cost of completion as a result of funds raised during our Sesqui-Centennial observed during the summer of 1974.  Demolition of the old “hotel” began on October 16, 1974 and was completed on October 18, 1974.

Since the forming of the Medical Center in July of 1972, over 8,000 patients have been seen.  Dr. Miller and Dr. Tartaglia are now in Wellsvillle.  They were replaced by Dr. Robert Woolhandler and Dr. Douglas Kibler.  They served from July 1974 to July 1975.  Our two new doctors are Dr. William Coch and Dr. Henry (Toby) Atkins, who began their two-year tour of service on July 1, 1975.  The new building is almost complete and will be ready sometime in 1976.

On May 1, 1976 the Andover Medical Center moved into its new location.  Moving from the old Legion building on Main Street into its newly constructed building on the old Joyce Hotel property. Many helped in this endeavor, especially the Andover Lions Club.  The new Medical center had modern facilities consisting of 7 examining rooms, 3 private Doctor’s offices, a laboratory, nursing office, a conference room plus plenty of parking for patients.  It is now staffed with three doctors; Dr. Toby Atkins, Dr. William Coch and Dr, Gary Ogden.  In June of 1977 Dr. Toby Atkins bid us all “Good-Bye” and left for Bangor, Maine.  He had served here since July of 1975.January 2000, Dan Woolston nurse-practitioner, was welcomed to the Andover Medical Group by Dr. William Coch.  He replaces Dr. Gary Ogden, who left due to health reasons.


The very first dentists that were here were just dentists that went from town to town during the week.  They didn’t have an office just one office that they worked out of everyday.  They would come once a week to take care of their patients and would be back the next week.  This took place for many, many years.

Finally in 1898 Andover had it very own dentist.  He was Dr. John Common.  He was born in Angelica, New York and was a graduate of Wilson Academy in Angelica and from the Philadelphia Dental College, now Temple University, in 1898.  He came here and opened his dental office the same year.  He was a member of the Allegany Dental Society and had served as its president for several years.

He made his home here along with his practice. He retired in the late 1930’s and died on December 5, 1940 and is buried in Hillside Cemetery, here in Andover.

Upon his retirement his son John Robert Common took over the practice.  His office was located on the west side of North Main Street across from William’s Store.  He practiced for 42 years until his retirement in January of 1976 due to health issues.  Both of these gentlemen were an asset to this community in many ways.  They belonged to and led many of the civil organizations that were here, always giving to the community.

Dr. John Robert Common died July 10, 1979 after a lengthy illness and is buried in Hillside Cemetery here in Andover.

After Dr. John Robert Common’s death, Andover went without a dentist for five years.  Finally in March of 1981 a new Dental Center was opened.  It was made possible through the combined efforts of the Rural Management Association of Allegany County and several Andover service clubs.  Clubs donating time, material and money were the Lions Club, Chamber of Commerce and the Jaycees.

The center is located in the American Legion Building which formerly housed the Andover Medical Center.  Dr. John R. Shaw, DDS operated the Center along with his staff, Kathy Graves, Jodi Cole and Theresa Amann.

Through out the years many dentists have come and gone and their names haven’t been kept.  But in the year 2000, Dr. Maria Dillie joined the staff at the Andover Dental Center, becoming Andover’s first full time dentist in two decades.

Andover owes many thanks to these doctors that have kept us alive and well, especially the ones that stayed.  They could have gone on and probably made a better life for themselves, but they didn’t.  They stayed and made the lives of the settlers and ours much better.  It was their unselfishness that is their greatest gift, not only their gift of healing and comforting sick.  Andover along with all of Allegany County owes them a great deal.  We “Thank” them all.

Submitted by William A. Greene, 2009.