Old Andover Church Gone Now
Compiled & Photos by William A. Greene - 2005
In 1862 the Andover Methodist Congregation had outgrown their first church and decided to build a new one. So they built a new church on the corner of East Greenwood Street and Church Streets.
The cost of this church was $2,500 and was dedicated in 1863. As the congregation kept growing, so did the church. So the Methodist built another church on the same lot. This structure is still their place of worship.
The Seventh Day Baptist Church was organized on October 7, 1871, when members of the Alfred, Alfred Station, Independence Churches living more closely to Andover banded together and established worship here.
The church that was built in 1862 was purchased in 1871 from the Methodist Society and moved on the Seventh Day Baptist lot on Greenwood Street about 100 yards west from East Avenue.
Rev. A. H. Lewis was the first Minister even before they had their own church. He was granted welcome to use the Baptist and Methodist facilities.
The pastors of the church since then were: Revs. T. Gardner, T. Williams. J. Kenyon, E. Witter, E Stockwell, Joshua Clark, L. Platts, Stephen Burdick, Edgar VanHorn, A. Webster, Erlo Sutton, Clyde Erhert, and Walter L. Greene.
Rev. Greene, who was Pastor of the Independence Seventh Day Baptist Church since 1914 was also the Pastor of the church here for many Years. After his retirement, services were discontinued in 1953. The church later was sold to the St. Andrew’s Mission of the Episcopal Church.
Edward Everett deeded his residence property corner of First and Greenwood Streets to the church in 1919. (Legion Park location today). This was never used as a parsonage but sold in 1926. In this same year, the Adams house was acquired and moved on the church lot and used as a parsonage. Dr. Clair Greene has since purchased the house for his parents.
The Last Days Steeple Remains Saying "Goodbye"
St. Andrews Mission
In November 1949, a favor was sought from the Rochester Episcopal Bishop for a Mission to be established in Andover. Through the efforts of Mr. and Mrs. Everett Clark, the petition was granted, and plans were at once underway for organization.
The Mission was called St. Andrew’s, as the first service held was the closest Sunday to St. Andrew’s Day.
In 1953, the parish purchased the Seventh Day Baptist Church on Greenwood Street. Prior to this both faiths were using the same church on their designated days. Rev. Richard Clark was the first Rector to serve this new Mission. Rev. Robert Bone, who took care of the needs of both Andover and Alfred Episcopal Churches, followed him.
The Bishop later appointed Daniel Bennett as Vicar of the St. Andrew’s Mission.
The last thing written about the St. Andrews Mission was written in the 1966 Andover History and they were appointing Daniel Bennett as Vicar for the up coming year, after that there is nothing else written.
At some point in time Roland Kemp purchased the church and property and used it for a storage building.
In the spring of 2005 the building was torn down and in May of 2005 it was hauled away. Otis Eastern owned by Charles Joyce of Andover did the tearing down and removal.