BULK – TAINERS of ANDOVER, N.Y.
Written by William A. Greene Aug. 1, 2016
Bulk – Tainers was founded around May 1956 by Owner _ General Manager, Mr. Donald H. Bernard of Angelica, New York. With the generous help and active participation of the residents of Andover and was purchased, and during the summer of 1956 an office and shop were erected approximately one mile east of Andover on State Rt. 17 (Rt. 417). It was a Quonset type building and on October 1, 1956, operations were begun. From that date, the average employment was 10 to 12 employees.
The primary business of Bulk – Tainers was the design, fabrication and erection of bulk storage and handling systems and equipment for the grain and feed industry. This equipment included holding and storage bins, loading bins and scale hoppers, grain conveyors and sprouting. Another major product was a steel truck body, equipped with a pneumatic and or mechanical unloading system, used in the transporting and unloading of grain and feed in bulk.
The company also manufactured a cylindrical storage tank used in the food industry. These large steel tanks were coated on the inside with a special lining and were used primarily to store liquid sugar, syrups and fats. They are used extensively by soft drink bottling firms and baking companies. The plant was well equipped and staffed to perform all types of special fabrication in steel and alloys.
By maintaining the strictest integrity with their customers and giving the best in workmanship and service, the blue and white B-T emblem was rapidly becoming a sign of quality and dependability throughout the industry.
They remained in business until 1968 when they moved out of the Andover area.
At some point the Joyce Western purchased the building and used it as a fabricating and repair building. When they closed their business it was purchased by Certified Traffic Control. They used it pretty much as a storage shed for their supplies.
In 1997 Southern Tier Transport owned by the Mills brother’s on Greenwood Hill, purchased the building and keep parts and supplies in it and they still own it today.