MAIN STREET – LOOKING NORTH
BOLIVAR,NY – 1875
Original Photograph was owned by Mrs. Minnie K. Middaugh of Bolivar and colored & distributed by State Bank of Bolivar probably in 1950’s with their comments.
“The picture is of Bolivar as it appeared in 1875 before the discovery of oil.
The first building, right center, is Bolivar’s old gristmill. Beyond the mill is the home of E. R. Kilbury. Beyond the Kilbury home is the “old Clark House,” the only hotel at that time in this territory.
At the left (front) is the Edgar W. Cowles home, still standing, and now occupied by one of their daughters, Mrs. Marcia C. Lowry. Beyond the Cowles home is the old D. A. Newton General Store, now occupied by the Bell Hardware Co. Beyond the Bell Store may be seen the tower of the old M. E. Church, the site now occupied by our bank.”
This photo presently owned by Sid & Sandra Cleveland and is used with thanks.