TPL_BEEZ2_NAV_VIEW_SEARCH

TPL_BEEZ2_NAVIGATION

TPL_BEEZ2_SEARCH

Names on the Landscape

Boylan’s Corners: Early name for the  hamlet that grew into the village of Canaseraga and so called after Samuel Boylan, one of the earliest settlers. As late as 1856 mail was occasionally received at Canaseraga addressed to Boylan’s Corners. 

Burns Station: The railroad hamlet on the Allegany-Steuben line established in the 1850’s when the Erie Railroad was built in this locality, now commonly called Burns. 

Burns Village: Principal village of the Town of Burns into the 1850’s. Located at the intersections of the Tilden Hill, Arkport- Canaseraga, and Bull Roads. Often in recent times referred to as Old Burns to distinguish it from the current Burns on the rail line.

Canaseraga: Name of the principal village of the township since 1853 and by act of the State Legislature since 1859. Also the name of the creek through what was originally called Whitney Valley. Canaseraga has several spellings and interpretations. Of Indian origin, it has been variously written Canneskraugh and Ganasgago. Interpretations are “Among the milkweed” and “Among the Elms” the latter seemingly having the larger claim to authenticity. There is in the literature at least one reference to the “Big Elk Horn” as the meaning of Canaseraga.

DeWitt’s Village: Early name for Burns Village, probably for S. DwWitt Brown who established a hotel in the community in  1826. 

Garwoods: Name of the community after 1865 when James Garwood agreed to build a station there if the Erie would build a switch and name the station after him.

Gas Springs: Early community in the southwest corner of the township, so named because vapors from the ground could be ignited by tossing a match. 

Morraine: Name for an area in the eastern section of the township extending south from where the Engineers Joint Training Fund is now located.

Whitneys Crossing: Name for the Post  Office at Garwoods, in honor of the Ezra Whitney family. 

Whitney Valley: Earliest widely-accepted name for the valley of the upper Canaseraga Creek extending from the Town of Grove through Garwoods and Canaseraga some two miles into the Town of Ossian. Named in honor of the Whitneys who arrived here from Vermont in 1817. Also the name down to the 1850’s for the Post Office at Boylan’s Corners – Canaseraga.

Excerpted from: Burns Bicentennial & Sesquicentennial Booklet, originally published by the Canaseraga-Town of Burns Sesquicentennial Bicentennial Committee formed September 1975.

 

TPL_BEEZ2_ADDITIONAL_INFORMATION