"New Hudson, Caneadea & Rushford Plank Road"
(From "History of Allegany County,NY" 1896-Allegany County & Its People)
"The New Hudson, Caneadea and Rushford Plank Road was built in 1852, the main projectors being Southworth & McGraw from Tompkins county, who owned 2,100 acres of timber land in New Hudson, and had 4 sawmills. The capital stock was $20,000. Timothy Rice, Abel S. Nicholson, Luke R. Hitchcock and John Smith were its active promoters in Caneadea, and J.B. Luther, Wilson Gordon and O.T. Higgins in Rushford. The road ran from McGrawville, following closely Rush and Caneadea creeks to Caneadea, with a branch from Kellogg's to Rushford. The plank were cut 8 1/2 feet long and 3 in. thick, and were furnished at $5 per M. For a while the road did a good business. It was later sold by the sheriff and March 20, 1859, came into the hands of Columbus Balcom who continued it till the flood of 1864, which tore up and carried off a good share of it, especially in the gorge."