East Hill / German Church
1907 - - - - - - - - - - - 2000
In the early 1800's and WNY was still a frontier,with thick lush forests and wildlife roaming freely, Gen Micah Brooks purchased a large tract of land in Eastern Caneadea . In 1851, he enticed several German families to relocate from Rochester to this underdeveloed area. As these hardworking Christians cleared the land and made their homes, monies were saved to assist other families to immigrate to the new world. Forty or more families arrived from Germany to make this their home.
Gen Brooks erected this small church in 1857 at a cost of $1200. Although modifications have been made through the years, it is basically the same building.
A shortage of horses in the area, made it necessary to use oxen to hoist the bell into place in the belfry. The same bell still tolls for weddings and special services.
A cemetery is in back of the chruch. On many stones, one side is in English , the other in German.
The church is now Caneadea Hills Community Church, and they are now holding regular Sunday services at 10:30am year-round. Ken Jarmusz is pastor. They are a small congregation working on restoring and maintaining this historic church. All are welcome.