Each September the hallways come alive with the sound of children returning to class. They arrive from as far away as Asia and as near as Houghton itself. This is not the first, but the 120th time a new school year has begun.
Over 100 years ago Willard Houghton had the dream of a school for the teaching of young people. Not only were the 3 r's taught, but more importantly a solid Christian way of life.
Below is a clipping from the Allegany County Democrat newspaper about the Houghton Institute and the name change of the community......no longer to be called "Houghton Creek"! (Submitted by Mary Rhodes)
This was the first building on the Houghton Campus. A rugged brick building in 1883. At that time, it served all students, all ages. It was the Houghton Seminary, nicknamed by the students 'Old Sem'. For many years,Houghton College, which grew out of the Seminary, shared facilities with the high school. In 1959 Houghton Academy, formerly the Seminary, moved to its own campus.
Houghton Academy - Today
Main Campus - Houghton, NY - Grades 7-12