(See also: East Rushford-Two Poems)

(From the scrapbook of Eddy C. [1857-1944] & Helen White Gilbert [1855-1929].  Clippings may not be dated and newspaper may be unknown, unless noted. Most dates supplied were handwritten and initialed by the collectors.)  In most cases, these clippings were from Rushford Spectator/The Spectator.

Transcribed by Joseph Damiano.



[ACHS note: Our best guess is that this was published in the late 1920s.]

There are very few news items to write from East Rushford as there are but three families still living there. It is a sorry looking place to one who knew it in the years gone by. Some buildings are moved away and in their place but rubbish remains, of some the frame work still stands, and others that are yet whole have the windows boarded up. A general sense of desolation rests on the place. There is still a school with six pupils and the feed mill is yet in business, but to this who knew it as it has been it is now mostly a place of memories. So-and-so lived here, in another house lived and died a friend and neighbor. To some the school has pleasant reminders of the past. Here is where they began school life and attended Sunday School on Sabbath and in this house where for many years religious services were held many sought and found their Savior. But this is a world of change and it yet seems hard to realize even now, that within a year the once prosperous village of East Rushford will be under water, one of the things that have been.

Editor's note : Because of the news value of this story it is given front page space. It was written, however, by the East Rushford correspondent, Viola Evans.