From the History of Allegany County 1806-1879:
THE PHILLIPS CREEK METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
This church was organized as a society according to law, on May 27th, 1850. A. Johnson, L. Bennett, J. Warrick,
W. B. Parker, E. T. Kaple, S. S. Easton and S. W. Cartwright were selected trustees. It was named the Balurma Society.
In 1851, an effort was made to build a house of worship. Subscriptions amounting to $730 were received, and Jesse
Warrick contracted to build the house. It was dedicated December 28th, 1852. Among the local preachers who served
the society at an early day were Eliphalet Johnson, Lewis Dunning and Elder Kaple of Andover, and at a later date
Jesse Warrick and Ahira Johnson.