wellsville free press header


(FROM 1868)

NOTE: The following presents an overview of Wellsville, N.Y., as it was in 1868, including its history, major events, personalities, and businesses. It was published in the Wellsville Free Press  on April 29, 1868. Transcribed by Mary Rhodes, with our thanks.

April 29, 1868 — Wellsville Free Press 4/29/1868 — WELLSVILLE -

“How do you do, Uncle WEED? I wish you would let your digging go, (the old man was actively at work in a deep drain on his farm) step down to the house and give me about an hour’s time: I want to gossip a little with you.”

“Now look o’here, youngster, stop your grammer, and your long words, an’ talk plain English, an’ tell me just what you want, an’ if its no lying’, I’ll tell ye -ef I can.”
Suitable apologies were made, and in a few minutes Uncle WEED and the inquisitive user of “grammer” an’ long words” were seated before the good, old-fashioned fireplace, in the well known log house, and in response to Uncle BILLY’S, “Now then, what d’y’ want - spit it out!” we dropped the familiar “Uncle,” became unconsciously respectful, and said;

“Mr. WEED, I would like to have you tell me how long you have lived here; who first came here; and anything of interest you can remember.”

“In ’24 I cut a road from the De Peyster place [Riverside Drive], up past where old CROWNER ought to be now [the old airport site on the Bolivar Road], an’ settled here. There wasn’t a buildin’, or any clearin’ even, where your city stands. Old JOB STREIGHT, the father of John you know, lived in the log house on the place called the Hendrick farm, (the log house above BALDWIN Bro’s tannery). [Baldwin Bros. Tannery was next south of Woodlawn Cemetery.] That was the first settlement an’ the first house in Wellsville. ASA FOSTER an’ I, we came here about together.” “What did we do when we got here? Why we worked! For four years we didn’t see any money, an’ we didn’t need it. There was nothing to buy — if we’d had it. We paid our taxes with road orders. There was a settlement then at Shoemaker’s Comers [Elm Valley], and the settlement of Knights and Palmers, at Scio. That we called the lower settlement. There was a sled road over the hills frond KINGS settlement, on the Little Genesee, past here to DYKES, at Shoemakers Comers. They used to raise anything they wanted to there then and they came out of KING’S to buy potatoes at DYKE’S. In ’27 BEN PALMER opened a store and brought goods in. They came from Albany, by wagons. My store trade was seven dollars a year. I bought the first cauldron kettle that year, and gave three hundred pounds of maple sugar for it. The same spring I bought that rifle of MIAMI YORK, an’ gave him two hundred pounds of sugar for it. I had sugar works right here then. That’s forty-one years ago this spring [ 1827], an’ the old gun is the best gun to my notion there is yet. I keep the old flint in it. ‘They are sure. In one year I killed 24 deer, 1 bear, and 1 wolf with it, and only had one pound of powder. I recon you haint got as good fishing now as we had then. CHURCH built a mill at what is now Phillipsville, and he had a high spar dam. A man could go to that dam at about 4 in the afternoon, on the right kind of day, an’ take forty pound of nice trout by dark. It was easier livin’ then than now, ef we hadn’t no money. Why, I could go a little was from my door, look across that piece of iron, (pointing to a long flint lock rifle,) an’ git me meat enough to last two weeks. Then we had to back our grists to MIDDAUGH’s, or what they call now the WILCOX mill, below Scio. I’ve carried two bushels of meal from there many a time.”

In this manner “Uncle WEED talked for two or three hours. Talk that may seem dull to many, but when we look at Wellsville, as it now is, and think that the time of which he speaks is only half of man’s allotted period of life in the past, it serves as a point from which to notice the changes which have taken place in the village.

The Settlement of Wellsville was really commenced in 1831. In the fall of that year the road on the south side of Dykes creek was cut out [Andover Road], The first horse teams that passed along it was driven by Z.H. Jones, who had to wait along that portion near where Mr. PROCTOR lives, for the logs to be rolled away, so he could get along. Wagons had to come via Almond and Angelica, and then up a road opened by Judge CHURCH, who then owned all the land below what is now known as the Seely place [the area of the Trinity Ev. Lutheran Church], Belmont, at that time, was not. A pine fallow, black and rough, graced the place where it now stands. In this year, REUBEN KENT, GARDINER WELLS and HARMON VAN BUREN settled here, and Mr. B. COATS and the SEELEYs below. VAN BUREN built the log house which was to become so well known as a tavern. In the spring of ’32, SILAS HILLS put some goods in VAN BUREN’s house. That was the first store in Wellsville. REUBEN KENT AND GARDINER WELLS commenced building a grist mill and a saw mill where the Genesee Flouring Mills, and R. Jefferson’s saw mill are now [at the foot of W. Fassett St]. At this time the present site of Wellsville was a dense pine forest, and tire first stock of logs for the new saw mill were got by clearing the place on which to put it. In this year, also, VAN BUREN commenced keeping tavern. Across one end of the bar-room was a huge Dutch fireplace, with a capacious chimney; and guests while seated there “of an evening,” could look up through it and see the tops of several large pines outlined against the sky, and waving to and fro in the breeze. Settlers had scattered along the river, and on the town meeting day of this year, a “raising bee” was made, and a log school house (1832-1837) raised on the comer opposite SIMMONS’ Regulator stores. This was also provided with a large Dutch fireplace, and HULDA HULL duly installed as teacher. In the opinion of “Uncle” WEED, she was the best teacher ever in Wellsville. “She showed neither fear nor favor, but used all alike.” From ’32 to ’50’s. -

The first frame house erected in the present town of Wellsville, was built in ’30 by SAMUEL PALMER, (not our present SAM. PALMER), in the lot in front of the house across the river, built by WM. POOLER and now owned by A.N. COLE [22 S. Highland Ave]. The first frame house in the village was built [in 1833] by GARDINER WELLS, on the site of MILLEN/MILLER’s blacksmith shop [the Wellsville Fire Department headquarters on S. Main St]. Both have disappeared. The bam used by VAN BUREN when he commenced keeping tavern, is now back of Doctor A.E. MERRIAM’s [on the east side of Main Street in the middle between Madison and Fassett] and is in use now. Dr. GEO. B. JONES came about ’32, and in ’33 he was made Postmaster of Wellsville. The mail was weekly, and was brought up from Angelica on horseback. About ’37, Mr. EPHRAIM SMITH came in and brought his grist mill. In this year a frame school house (1837-1842) was built, on the ground where EDMUND BALDWIN’S house now stands [SW comer Fasset and N. Broad St]. This [school] house was burned in ’42. PERRY built the first store, on the comer where SIMMONS now is [NW Comer Main and State St]. It now forms part of the Gillett block, and is used by T.J. BAKER as a grocery store. Wellsville remained “about so” until the survey of the Erie railway, in ’40 and ’41, when there was an influx of strangers, most of whom are now gone. W.H. GORDON came about this time. In ’44 the new school house (1844-1860) was finished [on the site of the present David A. Howe Library]. It was moved [in 1860] to make way for the present Union Graded [school] house, and was in use by A.S. STILLMAN, as a book store and news room, up to the February fire of’67 [it was moved to the west side of Main St about where INK was, and held 4 businesses - it burned in the 2/1/1867 Main Street fire]. In ’45, it was apparent that the Erie Railway was to be completed through to the Lakes, and Wellsville began to feel the more energetic life caused by the influx of new men. E.J. FARNUM and W.H. STODDARD came in, followed by others. In ’48, for a long time, there was not a store in Wellsville, and for months Wm. E. ARMSTRONG was the only “storekeeper” in the village. At that time one hundred acres would cover the cleared ground in the immediate vicinity of the village. In ’48, State St. was a log road running through the pines to the Wtst road [Brooklyn Ave]. In ’50 “the cars came.” Wellsville awoke to new life. From the petty hamlet which sent, each winter, loads of “clear pine” on sleighs to Dansville, and in return brought back pork and flour, on which the hardy people subsisted, it grew into an active, bustling market, where the products of a large and rapidly growing section of the country find their way to the great centres of trade. The Erie Railway gave the village the opportunity which she denied to many larger and more wealthy places, and despite the financial troubles that have twice overtaken the country; in spite of conflagrations, which have again and again swept away the business portion of the place in spite of “oil and oildom,” and the uncertainties occasioned by the war, we have the

Wellsville of Today.

This village may be geographically placed as follows: It is on the Genesee River, 91 miles from its mouth, by the river road, and 76 miles from Rochester (south). It is 360 miles west of New York, on the Erie Railway and 102 miles east of Dunkirk, and known as Genesee Station. South, it is 10 miles to the Stateline, and 15 miles to the head waters of the Genesee. The valleys of the surrounding country are narrow and the bordering hills abrupt and generally covered with hemlock forests. The uplands, now generally taken up, are timbered with oak, chestnut, maple, beech, and other woods. The soil is a clayey loam. Apples, pears, plums, and cherries ripen. The land is well watered and especially adapted to grazing and dairying. It is already becoming a great butter and cheese producing district.

The Erie Railway running from Homellsville to Andover, takes for its general direction, a line a little west of south, distance 17 1-2 miles; from Andover to Wellsville south of west, distance 9 miles; from Wellsville to Belvidere, northwest, distance 111-2 miles, describing in its course a figure which may be likened to the bowl of a dipper; Homellsville and Andover forming one side, Andover and Wellsville the bottom, and Wellsville and Belvidere the other side. Wellsville is situated on the south-west comer of this plan, and being the point where the Erie Railway first touches the valley of the Genesee, is therefore the natural entrepot, or outlet for all of that valley above it. Added to this it is also the only outlet for a very large section of Northern Pennsylvania lying beyond the water-shed of the Genesee. These physical features have made Wellsville a town of importance. Trade and manufacture have been stimulated. Competition has produced diversity and activity, and, while lessening the amount of profit on each article, it has also largely increased the amount of sales, and made ready-pay the basis of trade. Not only has it done this, but it has exerted an influence upon the country east, north, and, west to such an extent that much trade from these directions is carried on here. As the town, and more particularly the country around it, became settled, and wealth increases, business will also gain in a proportionate ratio.

From the petty hamlet of twenty years ago, without a store, or a church, or a manufactory of any kind save the omnipresent timber and trout-destroying sawmill, Wellsville has grown to be an energetic and bustling town of 3,000 people. It now contains six churches and three religious societies; one of the best graded Union Schools in Western new York; three large tanneries, which annually consume many thousands dollars worth of bark and turn out many thousands sides of sole leather; one custom tannery; two sash, blind and door manufactories; one large and growing cabinet-ware manufactory; one extensive machine shop; one repair shop; two cigar manufactories; one brewery; twenty-eight stores, some of the finest stores of any country town in New York State; two banking offices; shoe shops; harness shops; blacksmith and wagon shops; a flouring mill, saw, shingle and stave mills, and all the adjuncts of a new and growing town in a new country. And to this connection we again produce the amount of business transacted at our station during the year 1867: Freight received, 14,956,000 lbs., or 7,478 tons. Amount charged on same $32,562.81. Forwarded, 25,106,000 lbs., or 12,553 tons. Amount charged on same $59,766.50. Cash received for tickets, $15,571.44. Total cash business $102,199.75. The amount of freight received would require 748 cars of ten tons capacity each. These would make 38 trains of 20 cars, and, allowing 6 men to each train, would require 228 men to man the. Each car when in train will cover two rods; and these cars would, if in one train, reach five miles.

The amount of freight forwarded would in the same way, take 1,255 cars, which would make 63 trains of 20 cars, requiring 398 men to manage them. If in one train would reach nearly eight miles.

The time will come when there will be, what there ought to be now, a railway up the Genesee Valley from Rochester through the coal beds of southeastern Potter, connecting with the Philadelphia and Erie railway. Such a road would double the business, wealth, and inhabitants of Wellsville within four years from the time it was opened. That road should be built and our business men should agitate it. But whether built in this generation or not, the wonderful recovery of our village from the many misfortunes which have from time to time befallen it - misfortunes that would have used up so many places, not only demonstrate that it has an honorable and prosperous future before it, but is equally a monument of the persistent pluck and sagacity of the business men, who have not only made a place for their town, but for themselves as well, in the history of Southern Allegany.

To sum up: Wellsville though one of the youngest towns in this section, is already the largest town in Allegany County and to-day contains more inhabitants than any village between Hornelsville and Dunkirk. There are more goods sold at this point than at any other one on the Erie Railway between Elmira and Dunkirk. A glance at the topography of the country and its means of communication, will show that there is no probable way by which the trade of this section will ever be diverted from this point. It is peculiarly adapted to manufactures, and should a railway ever open to the cheap fuel lying south of us, it would become a large manufacturing town. It is one of the best markets for all kinds of farm produce anywhere in Western New York, and consequently the neighboring country offers capital inducements to people to settle near here, and engage in farming. The town has suffered severely from fire, and presents a ragged and rather outre appearance, but the people have taken matters in hand and we are to have sidewalks, shade trees, and graded streets. We have churches, a good school, two daily mails each way, and daily lines of stage to the county south of us. That Wellsville is an important business town is a fact. That she is to continue to prosper is reasonably certain. Let us all try to bring on the good time coming.

The Fires. -
Fires, as well as other things must have a beginning. It is so in Wellsville, at least. The series commenced her in ’42. Z.H. JONES, Esq., furnished the first property to light the surrounding hills, in shape of a blacksmith shop. It was set on fire, and being the first is noticeable because one of the young men of the village, in the excitement of the moment, attended it, clad only in the one garment he had on at the time of his awakening. It was a goodly distance to go in that attire, too, - from VAN BUREN’s tavern down to where THOMAS PULLER now lives [S. Main St]. Fires came along then, sometimes fast, and sometimes slow. Below will be found a list with the year in which they occurred. When we say that men who attended, for instance, the burning of Gordon Block, vary three years in their remembrance of the time, our readers will pardon us if we make a mistake either by omission or commission:

In’42, the blacksmith shop owned by Z.H. JONES. In the winter of ’43, the Shingler House [SE comer Main & State], afterward built as the Fisher Hotel. And, in the summer, the school house, that stood where Mr. E. BALDWIN’S house now is [SW comer Fassett & Broad].

In ’50 die roof and upper story of W.H. COATS’s dwelling [SW comer Main & Madison St] was burned off, but the men and women passed water from the river and put the fire out.

In’52 the same thing occurred to the building afterward known as the American Hotel [on Main St where W. Madison St is today - S.S. Stiles, prop.], beyond Gordon Block. It was saved by the same means. Both the buildings were of pine and both were saved by throwing water by hand. In the winter of ’52 and ’53, the saloon and store standing on the comer where BEHRENS’ saloon now is [NW comer Central Place & Loder St.], and a dwelling house behind it, near the station was burned.

In ’54, the cabinet shop, together with a very large stock, and dwelling of W.H. COATS, and the dwelling house of Dr. G.B. JONES, were totally destroyed.

In ’56 DAVIS’s planning mill [NE comer Central Place & Main St], and E.J. FARNUM’s saw mill [playing field of WHS] were offered up.

In ’57, Gordon Block, containing five stores [where the Burrous building is], Fisher’s Hotel, the American Hotel, and a small dwelling in the rear were destroyed.

In the spring of’58, the store of Brown’s Bro’s., on the [NE] comer of Main and Plank Road [Pearl St] streets, together with Mr. SEYMOUR JOHNSON’S dwelling house [198 N. Main St] were burned. In the summer [July 24, 1858] the TAYLOR shops, the HALLETT house and store, a store occupied by DWIGHT GOODRICH, and one used by D.K. CHARLES were burned. This fire, it is supposed, was set for the purpose of robbing the ticket wagon of YANKEE ROBINSON’s show, which was here at the time. [The Yankee Robinson Show was set up on the site of the Pizza Hut. The fire was set, and it burned the entire east side of Main Street from Fassett to State.]

In ’59, the TAYLOR store, J.H. PARMALEE’s store, FOWLER’s store, and Mrs. GRAVES’ dwelling were burned.

In ’60, J.B. SMITH’S store was partially burned, and the remains pulled down.

In ’62 E.P. CLARK’s store and banking office. L.F, PHILLIP’S dwelling home, and a large quantity of lumber and shingles; and a little later, the west wood-shed and WAYNE SPICER’s dwelling house, were added to the list of property destroyed.

In ’63, HOWARD’S Tannery [Stevens St area] was nearly destroyed.

In ’64, the DAVIS planning mill was again burned.

In ’65, FOSHA’s house, one dwelling, and the building used as a saloon, where BEHRENS now is [NW comer Central Place and Loder St], were burned.

In ’67, 1 Church, 13 stores, six dwellings, the VAN BUREN HOUSE, FA[can’t read] Flouring Mills and saw mill, CLARK’s sash and door factory, the post office, 2 banking offices, FREE PRESS office, BEEVER’S meat market, DOTY’s blacksmith shop, GOODLIFF’s saw mill and bam comprised the offering of Wellsville to the fire fiend.

It will be seen that some of the best buildings have been destroyed, and in all, property enough to make a really respectful town.

After suffering to this extent, firm limits have been established and the business portion of the town is rapidly being rebuilt with brick in a most substantial manner. The coming year promises to add many new structures to the number erected last year, and when the vacant places are again filled it will be impossible for our village to suffer to the extent it already has.

Brief notices of the business men are appended. When we consider that the life of the men of business, and especially that of a merchant is one of close attention to detail, and, of itself, confining, usually destitute of these incidents which give variety to the life of the professional man, the task of noticing any portion of this business life becomes really difficult What we say refers to patrons of the FREE PRESS: and means most of the people in Wellsville.

Hoyt & Lewis. -
Seventeen years ago [1851] BEECHER & LEWIS opened a store in a little building that used to stand on the comer [NE comer State and Main St] opposite SIMMONS’ store [NW comer]. After a few months, Mr. B. sold out to JULIUS HOYT, and the firm became HOYT & LEWIS. Business prospered with them and they soon moved to the large store known as the Whitney block. In ’55 Mr. G.W. RUSSELL associated with them and the firm became HOYT, LEWIS & RUSSELL. In ’56 they added banking to their other business. In ’57 they moved to their new store in Union Block. In ’60 Mr. B. withdrew, and the firm resumed its old name. This firm has grown and prospered with the town until to-day it stands among the leading houses in this section. They early adopted the system of selling for cash, and at low profits, and now have one of the finest and most pleasant lines of trade in town, and it is rapidly increasing. Their banking business has increased until it now engrosses the whole time of Mr. HENRY N. LEWIS, and ranks in magnitude among the first in the county. The members of this firm are among our most public spirited and generous citizens. In business they use printer’s ink freely, as the columns of the FREE PRESS abundantly testify.

E.B. Tullar, Wholesale and Retail Dealer in Hardware, &c. -
In the fall of’52, Mr. TULLAR commenced business in the store now occupied by MACKEN BROTHERS [NE comer Main and Fassett St]. In’56 he moved to No. 1 Union Block [SE comer Main and Pearl St, No.l was directly on the comer]. Business prospered because he gave all his attention and energy to it Burned out in ’67, he now has one of the finest brick stores on the site of the old one, ever devoted to the hardware trade in the county. Anything in that line from the tiniest of embroidery scissors to a 72 inch circular saw, or from a match safe to a complete outfit for a blacksmith shop can be had for calling for it.

Always fortunate in his undertakings, and more than ordinarily pleasing in appearance and address, he has nevertheless made signal failures in two directions; I. He has not found a wife. II. He tried to make a tinker out of the writer of this. In the first instance, he might, if he would. In the other whether the tinker or the scribbler was spoiled, may still be an open question. But Mr. TULLAR ranks among the most prosperous of our merchants, and has a most enviable reputation for fair and conscientious dealing. May his shadow never grow less.

Russell Brothers, Banner Store - General Dealers in Dry Goods, Carpeting, &c,
-Eleven years ago [1857], FRANK RUSSELL & Co. flung their banner to the breeze. This firm soon took its place in the front rank. Four years ago Mr. GEO. O. RUSSELL became associated in the business and the name of the firm was changed to the one it now bears. Never burned out, this firm has not changed its place of business since it first opened its doors: and is now one of the landmarks of Wellsville. [It was located on the NW comer Main and Pearl St & eventually was moved to 19 E. Pearl St, is now the State Farm Insurance building.] Always attentive and prompt; showing excellent taste in selecting goods; and ever careful to represent an article just as it is, this firm enjoy a most enviable reputation throughout the whole of this section as honorable and courteous dealers.

White & Fisher, General Dealer in Dry Goods and groceries. -
This firm is in the large new store [NE comer Main and Jefferson St] opposite the new Baptist Church. Mr. H.G. WHITE, the senior, has been known as an upright and responsible dealer for the past twelve years [1856]. Mr. T.F. FISHER is a young man who, for the five years was engaged in die Genesee Flouring Mills. This firm, though still comparatively young, has by strict attention, energy and a most laudable ambition to excel, attained a position where it ranks among the largest and most extensive dealers in Wellsville. They have turned their attention largely to the trade in family groceries and have deserved and won the reputation of keeping one of the most varied and best stocks, in this particular line, to be found in the whole town.

J.D. Rathbone, Wholesale and Retail Grocer. -
Mr. R. is successor to the well-known firm of BALDWIN BROTHERS. He succeeded them early in the year. He was formally owner of the New York Store in Gordon Block. He intends to conduct his large trade strictly on the cash system. Arrangements have been made and a large stock of goods brought in, and the attention of buyers generally is respectfully solicited. His superior facilities for buying cheap are unprecedented. Especial attraction has been given to the selection of a large stock of family groceries.

C.H. SIMMONS, Wholesale and General Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, &c., and jobber in pork, flour, and salt -
In ’52, a man, physically unable to perform the labor attending the earning of a livelihood in a new country, opened a small store in Oswayo, on a creek of that name in Potter Co. He had at last found his place. He made business move. His trade grew from year to year, until in ’64 he had a large stock on his hands, and more goods coming. Driving over to Wellsville, in September of that year, with his clerk for company, he saw the old plank road was failing, and that it was going to be expensive work in the future to haul his goods from the Station. Pondering over the matter, he determined that it was easier for him to come to the goods than to drag the goods to him. To think was to act. In three days, and without going home, he had bought a store [NW comer Main and State St], hired a cart-man, and was getting his goods down. Late in the afternoon of the third day, he commenced breaking his packages, and his cash sales for that part of the day were $70. His sales for that week averaged $400 per day. He now employs ten clerks constantly, and has received six carloads of goods in one week. He also buys and sells shingles, and but lately has perfected arrangements in Chicago, whereby he is now enabled to job flour in lots to suit purchasers, at prices that defy competition on that line. He is now engaged in building twenty-four feet front to his already large stores. The new addition is to be used to store flour and pork. Mr. S. is a firm believer in printer’s ink, and advertises in all the papers in this section. He has built two fine dwellings, and made many improvements which add not only to the worth but the beauty of his property.

Coats Brothers, Manufacturers and Dealers in Cabinet Ware -
This business was opened some thirty years ago by W.H. COATS, Esq. He came here and opened his shop, putting up a bench on one side of his little place, sticking up a horse-go-round power behind it. In addition to his labors at the bench he was called upon to assume those devolving upon a Justice of the Peace. He would, in those happy days make two or three bedsteads, a cherry table, and half a dozen chairs, stop making and “finish them off,” sit them snugly aside, sweep out, and open court. In ’52 the demands of his trade became sufficient to warrant him in putting in the only finished steam engine then in use in the whole section around. There were two steam saw-mills at the time on Brimmer Brook, but they were rude devises, with the cylinder over the saw gate and attached directly to it. He rapidly extended his business and accumulated a very large stock of goods just in time to have them, together with his shop and dwelling house destroyed by fire in ’55. The loss was total and it was a long time before the trade was fully recovered. It has now grown to be the second manufacturing business, in point of importance, in the village. They wholesale goods of their own manufacture. In June of last year, they commenced making chamber furniture of ash. Since then they have made and sold 175 sets. Last winter they purchased 75,000 feet of lumber made of our native hard wood. Their limit of trade is only bounded by the possibility of getting seasoned lumber to use. They now employ daily 13 hands and are making work which they can sell as cheap as any manufacturer in any place. All kinds of upholstered parlor and chamber furniture, extension tables, mattresses, chairs, wardrobes and everything else in the line of household gear usually found at such places, always on hand.

E.B. Curtis, Dealer in Shelf Hardware, and Manufacture of Tin-ware. -
Mr. CURTIS was with E.B. TULLAR for some seven years, and in the spring of ’61, he opened a shop of his own. After serving a term in the army he returned to Wellsville and resumed labor. Business came to him and now he is in his new store, on Main street [across the street from the future Citz Bank building, now Brand Names], at the sign of the “Big Tea Pot,” where he is now engaged in a lucrative and growing trade. He is every inch a skillful workman. His stock of tinware of his own make of seven years ago has expanded into a large stock of shelf hardware, stoves, paints, &c., &c. He is also agent for the Hubbard Mower, Universal Clothes Wringer, Doty’s Washer, the Wilder’s Fire Proof Safes, and the Boston Seale Works.

J.S. Mosman[?|, General Dealer in Dry Goods and Groceries, No. 1 Gordon Block. -
This dealer has only been in the village since last summer, but has steadily increased his business until now he has taken one of the largest stores in Wellsville, which he has filled brim-full with a choice stock of dry goods and groceries. He gives a fair sample of his stock in one of the most attractive windows in our village. He believes in small profit and quick sales, and notifies all that he will not be undersold.

Alex. Smith, Grocer, York & Barnes Block [SE corner Main and Jefferson St] -
ALEX. SMITH is one of a class which, for the good of the Republican Party, we hope is pretty generally confined tc Allegany, viz: in politics, a Democrat, and in everything else a right down good fellow. There are such men here, and too many of them, speaking from a political point of view. But, the groceries. Mr. SMITH does have about the best trade in family groceries there is in town. If you stop in and say, “send me a sack of good flour and some Java coffee,” when you go home you will find at your house good flour and Java coffee. Not but that you get what you call for at other places, you always do, in Wellsville, but that ALEX, sends them to your house as soon as you leave the order. He keeps constantly on hand flour, feed, meal and pork, in quantities to meet any demand. He takes especial pride in offering the best grades of teas and everything else kept in a first class grocery store.

H.K. OPP, General Dealer in Clothing and Gentlemen’s Furnishing Goods, One Door East of the Allegany House, Main Street -
Does everyone know what OPP has got? OPP has got the faculty for selling clothing to a T, or any other man. That means that OPP is selling goods to all the fellows from Scio, Belmont Whitesville, Potter County, and everywhere else in general. OPP has also got what he claims to be the best, cheapest and most beautiful stock of clothing in town. We thought he was stretching the matter a little, but on going down to see, we were nearly run over by two young fellows in new toggery from head to foot, and saw piles more of all kinds on the counters, under the counters, on the shelves, in trunks - everywhere; and we really think the Boston Clothing House and OPP are just about O.K.

L.S. Anderson & Co., General Dealers in Hardware, Stoves, Glass, Paints, Oil, &c., Main St -
This firm, late Anderson and Doolittle, have been located here about two years [1866]. They quietly but energetically pushed their business and now have a well-established and prosperous trade. They deal in shelf and heavy hardware, all kinds of house-builder’s goods, and also sell wagon maker’s goods, doors, sash and glass; paints, oils, and all goods of this class. They have paid special attention to the wants of sportsmen, and have a fine assortment of double and single barrel shot guns, sporting rifles, shot of all sizes, powder, lead, pistols of all kinds, powder flaks, &c. They trade is strictly pay. They do not want any other. They mean business, and respectfully request the attention of buyers to their stock and prices.

E.B. Hall, Druggist - No. 3, Union Block -
Sixteen years ago [1852] he was one of a firm that opened a small stock of drugs in the building lately known as “the blue front.” [site of the present theater building]. Like all who have “succeeded in trade” his course has been marked by strict attention to business. Added to this, he has a really wonderful “knack of doing things,” from making a new kind of ink to laying a chimney, when the knight of the trowel fails to perform. This faculty has helped him to more than usual success in business. Burned out in the fire of ’67, he has not yet finished his new store. He has given much study to the problem of putting up and finishing off the most convenient and at the same time the most tasteful drug store ever built in Western New York “Buffalo not excepted.” And he is going to succeed in his endeavors. The store will be finished June 1st, when we shall have more to say about it. Mr. H. keeps a large and very complete stock of drugs and pure liquors, together with paints, oils, varnishes, glass, fishing tackle, perfumery and fancy goods, &c., &c.

Harvey Alger, Manufacturer and Dealer in Boots and Shoes - Leather and Findings Constantly On Hand. -
Some fourteen years ago [1854], Mr. ALGER commenced business in a modest way, in a little building near where the Allegany House now stands. It has prospered with him, until now he has the largest exclusively boot and shoe store in the county. He also carries on manufacturing, which he supervises himself. ALGER’s fine boots are known all over the county. In addition to this business, he keeps a large stock of leather and findings constantly on hand, which he is able to offer at lower prices than any other dealer.

A Stewart Stillman, Bookseller, Stationery, and General Notion Dealer, nearly Opposite the New Baptist Church. -
Mr. STILLMAN has been here three years [1865], and has burned out twice, and still flourishes. He sells about everything in the notion and esthetic way, from a jumping jack to a church organ; or from a copy of the Ledger, with a chapter of a novel written by a clergyman, to a copy of Tupper’s poems in green and gold. He sells blanks to lawyers, and smelling stuff for the handkerchiefs of young men who part their hair back and escort ladies home from parties; he is agent for the Bible society, and keeps any quantity of Mother Goose’s stories; he sells complete outfits for base ball clubs to one class of young men, and fiddle strings to another; he keeps ledgers and all kinds of blank books for sedate and methodical business men, ad ten cents novels for minds who tender growth requires the weakest of spoon victuals. More than this, if STILLMAN hasn’t got what you want, he’ll get it for you. Still more than this - STILLMAN trusts the printers - STILLMAN has faith.
S. Rosen back, General Dealers in Clothing and Furnishing Goods, Conner’s Block, Main Street-
Everybody in this section knows die “General.” If they do not they ought to. He has some peculiar, though good, notions in his head. For instance, he cannot imagine why anyone should look “out at the elbows” when a few dollars invested at the “General’s” will make any man look like a brave gentleman. Another notion - and one that should be largely adopted. Is, that having served under Gen. Grant, he thinks he may have to vote for him. But whether he votes for Grant or not, he has learned by six years’ experience [1862], first, that Wellsville is the best place in the county to sell goods, and second, that ROSENBACK’s is the place to buy clothing.

Hiram L. Jones, General Dealer in Dry Goods and Groceries, Next Door to Dr. H.H. NYE’s office [SE corner Main and Eaton Court], Main Street -
Mr. JONES is a merchant of eight years standing [1860], having formally been one of the firm of WHITE & JONES. He does an exclusively cash trade, and makes it a point to represent his goods just as they are. He makes his prices low, and then strictly adheres to them. He has by this system, attracted a class of customers who never think of changing their place of trade. He is one of the most conscientious business men in Wellsville, and is deserving of the growing and profitable trade he has secured.

A S. Brown, General Dealer in Dry Goods and Groceries, Enterprise Block, Main Street -
Mr. BROWN has been in business in Wellsville some thirteen years [ 1854], four years of which he has been alone. He has a large trade and is increasing it yearly. It is his intention to erect a brick block of three stores on the comer opposite the Banner Store. [A.S. Brown built the still existing Lincoln Block, NE comer Main and Pearl St.] He does not advertise his business.

J. & S. Carpenter, Dealers in Dry Goods and Groceries, Carpenter’s Block [site of the gas station by the hospital], Main Street. -
Mr. JOHN CARPENTER has been in trade in Wellsville for seventeen years [1851]. For twelve years the firm has been J. & S. CARPENTER. It is the oldest established house in Wellsville. They both belong to die same class of men in which we place ALEX. SMITH. This firm has secured the abiding trade the scarcely [can’t read] of all. They are among our best citizens and most honorable dealers. This firm does not advertise.

E.C. Palmer, Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries and Provisions, Boots & Shoes, Stoneware, &c., [can’t read] Allegany House, Main Street -
This business was lately [can’t read] by FRISBY & PALMER. Mr. PALMER has been in Wellsville some ten years [1858], and is well and favorably known. Four years of this has been passed in trade. He has a good and rapidly increasing trade which is conducted on the “cash down” system. Courteous and attentive to all, making but small profits, always representing his goods just as they are. Mr. PALMER has already attained a most favorable position among the business men of Wellsville.

N. Schubmehl, Manufacturer of Cigars and Dealers in Tobacco, & Pipes, &c., Connors’ Block, Main Street -
Mr. SCHUBMEHL is a young man who was brought up in the business he follows, having worked at it seventeen years in Dansville. He has been here one year [1867] and has already accrued a really flattering custom. He uses the best of tobacco in his cigars, and warrants them as represented. He also keeps a fine assortment of smoking tobaccos, numbering among them O.P. TAYLOR’s best brands, real mooschaum and briar pipes, the best of chewing tobacco, &c. SCHUBMEHL is bound to win.

L. Sweet & Co., Machine Shop and Foundry, Furnace Street [lower Jefferson St.] -
This establishment was opened in ’52. After some changes it passed into die hands of the original builder, Mr. L. SWEET some ten or eleven years ago [1858 or 1859]. Since then the institution has been in successful operation. All kinds of steam engines, machinery, mill gearing, shingle machines, the latest style of horse power castings of all kinds, boilers and forgings are promptly turned out at this establishment. Mr. SWEET has lately associated with himself two of the best mechanics in the country, Mark Tremaine and Alex. Shaffer, and the shop is being run to its full capacity. Especial situation is given to repairing.

Davies & Co., Manufacturers of Cigars, &c. 1 Door East of ALEX. SMITH’S Grocery, Main Street [site of theater building]. -
James Parton, a scribbler of some pretensions, and once a judge of a good cigar, took to wife a woman occasionally mentioned as Fanny Fem. Fanny is strong minded and soon got the upper hand of James. After a long battle she not only got James to give up his cigar, but lectured him into writing a letter in a magazine much read in New England, under the caption “Does it pay to smoke?” Impulse prompts the answer, and who will doubt its truth, “not if you have a regular, long, thin, sharp voiced, tonguey, Fanny Fem for a wife, and she down on smoking. It is said Fanny reads all her Ledger stories to James before she sends them up as “copy.” How sweetly he could stand the infliction if only he had one of DAVIES’ pure Havanas, or one of those fragrant Yaras, or even one of those good Havanas in a velvety, golden brownseed-leaf wrapper in his mouth, and as he listened the fragrant odor would carry his imagination away ‘o the beautiful vail of spicy groves, and glowing sun of the Queen of Antilles, all mirrored in the graceful clouds before him, the file-sawing voice of Fanny would be softened into the full vowelled and mellow tone of the language of Castile, and Fanny herself, if he did not look at her, might be transmogrified by the same subtle influence into a well rounded, lithe limbed Senorita, whose glowing cigarita perfumed the sweetest of breaths. “Does it pay to smoke?” That depends —

H.M. Sheerar, Dentist -
If Dickens, instead of sending Mark Tapley to Eden, had only taken him into a modem Dentist’s shop and shown him all the cheerful big nippers and little nippers; all the screws and files; and all the big and little, crooked and straight, long and short Jigamaroes, of the brightest and coldest of steel, all made with the [can’t read] able intention of cutting, “hauling,” [can’t read], scraping, filing and crushing one’s teeth, and had set Mark down in the chair and screwed it up and screwed it down about ten minutes, and then screwed his head first this way and then that; opened his mouth and gently poked a sore tooth with a stumpy forefinger, the end of which was ornamented with a good soil for a hill of potatoes; if he had then forced something in his mouth that looked like a whole Blacksmith shop and felt like a twenty ton [can’t read] - then, we say, there would have been some merit in Mr. Tapley’s cheerfulness. But Mark would have had no occasion for any display of cheerfulness in SHEERAR’s. His blacksmith shop is kept in the background; he has a suite of rooms so arranged that all the little boys can’t stand in the door and look down your throat, and in fact the “hauling” business is as refined and human as it can be made. But his teeth. Well, his work is A 1, and no mistake. If you see any one with a particularly nice set of teeth, you are safe in going up and saying, “how long is it since Dr. SHEERAR made your teeth?”

Wellsville Nursery, Z.H. JONES, Proprietor. -
This has been established for ten years [1858]. In the hands of Mr. JONES, who has been in this County thirty-seven years [1831], and knows what the climate will provide to grow, it has been filled with a choice stock of apple, pear, cherry, and ornamental trees, which are all acclimated and ready to start off growing, instead of standing still a couple of years to get used to Allegany weather. Our farmers have been led to understand this and the Wellsville Nursery is rapidly increasing in the number of trees on hand, compiles all the [can’t read] hardiest varieties, and it [can’t read] bearing on the amount of the rain-fall, and fruit trees will bring an additional return.

Daniel Dobbins, Main Street [site of Thornton building] -
If you want a horse shod, go to Dobbins. If you want a lumber wagon, or to get one repaired; or if you want to buy a buggy, go to Dobbins. If you want to hire a horse, or two horses, or three horses, to go riding, go to Dobbins. If you want to go to Coudersport, go to Dobbins, and his daily stage line will take you there. He is one of the oldest residents and knows how to do all these things. If you have got your wagon fixed, or horse shod, and want a harness, just stop into the rooms over the stone blacksmith shop and you will find

James Thornton, Harness Maker [site of Thornton building, above Dobbins Blacksmith Shop] -
Who will sell you a single, or double, fancy or plain, light or heavy harness, made in tip-top style, and warranted to be just what he represents it. If you don’t want a new harness, get your old one fixed up.

William Beever, [Meat Market, behind the Union Block which is on the SE corner Main and Pearl St] -
Among the notable places of Wellsville is BEEVER’s meat market He has been here a long time, and not withstanding a loss of some thousands of dollars in the fire of ’67, he has just finished up one of the nicest, and most convenient shops of the kind in Western New York. He has ice, large refrigerators, marble counters, tidy rooms, clean blocks and nice meats. And above all, BEEVER has Mrs. BEEVER. It is the place to buy meat.

Dickenson Clark, |NE corner Stevens St and Brooklyn Ave and east to the river] -
House builder and manufacturer of sash, blinds, doors, door-casings, &c., Plank Road street, near Howard’s tannery. Mr. CLARK was burned out about a year ago [1867, on site of WHS playing fields, near the river], but he was soon to a new building, and was, and is as busy as ever. He has all the latest styles of machinery and is ready to sell a single sash, or build and finish off a house from the word “go!” He is a skillful mechanic and fair dealer and deserves the fine run of custom he now has.

Henry Bannister, Boot and Shoe Maker, Main Street [across from the Citz Bank building]. -
Mr. BANNISTER has been in this village working at his trade for the past nineteen years [1849]. Six years ago [ 1862] he opened shop for himself. Having lately got a new and full supply of imported leather, and having long had one of the best boot makers in the whole county, he now challenges any shop to produce a pair of fine boots which shall excel those he is now making in quality of leather and workmanship.

Burden & McDonald, Harness Makers, Carpenter’s Block, Main Street [site of gas station by JMHJ. -
These men are some more of the ALEX. SMITH class, good fellows as well as good harness makers - but still they do make and sell good harnesses. That is a fact - and they ought to. They have attained a good reputation as skillful and reliable workmen, and have earned the success they have met with.

John J.S. Lee, Dealer in Lime and Plaster, also General Land Agent. -
Mr. LEE has met a want long felt in establishing a place where a man can go and get any quantity of lime or Cayuga plaster he might want, from a peck of either to a car load. Those wishing anything of the kind, can inquire at WALKER’S Planning Mill [NE comer of Lower Jefferson St, adjacent to the Railroad tracks]. He is also general land agent, and is prepared to furnish information regarding lands in Southern Allegany.

R. & J. Doty, Blacksmith and Wagon Makers, Furnace St. [NE corner Lower Jefferson and Main St, extending back to Walker’s Planning Mill]. -
Seventeen years ago [1851] these two brothers opened a small shop by the side of the railway, opposite Mr. E. BALDWIN’S dwelling. Early and late the ring of their hammers has been heard, and still is, for that matter. Literally, they struck while the iron was hot, and to-day they are among the solid men of Wellsville. To be sure, they were fortunate in oil, but they also had some Merchant Union stock. But they are none the less entitled to credit for their manly labor.

DOTY’s lumber wagons have the reputation of being about the best ones made and that is their aim in all they undertake, viz, to have it the best that can be produced. Blacksmithing is carried on in all its branches, and work entrusted to them will be promptly executed.

E.J. Walker, Planning Mill, and Manufacturer of Sash, Blinds, Doors, &c., Furnace Street [Lower Jefferson St]. -
Mr. WALKER brings to this business the experience of twenty years of work. For five years [1863] he has run his present shop, and now is full of work. He has a reputation as a builder second to none in this section, and some of the best buildings in Wellsville furnish ample evidence of his skill. He makes all his work, and warrants it. Planning done to order. Agent for sale of lime and plaster.

Macken Brothers, Druggists, Main Street [NE corner Main and Fassett St]. -
This is one of the young firms of Wellsville, yet long and well known in this section. One of die members of the firm, Doctor M. MACKEN, who, in addition to his knowledge as a well-read physician, has had a long and valuable experience as salesman in the drug business. They keep only the best of goods, and sell cheap. A large stock of pure liquors is kept on hand. In addition, they offer especial inducements in the way of bargains in school books.

Dwight Goodrich, General Dealer in Groceries, opposite the Allegany House, Main Street -
Mr. GOODRICH is one of the oldest residents of Wellsville, and notwithstanding a very painful disease of the eyes, which at times entails almost total blindness, he still attends to business and manages to retain many friends. He is noted for his strict integrity, and has the respect of all classes. His goods are all good quality and sell at low figures. There is no better place to trade in town.

York and Chamberlain, bankers, York and Barns’ brick block, Main Street [SE corner Main and Jefferson St.]|. -
This firm is known to all, and needs no comment from one whose knowledge of a “bank” and “coin” (quoin) is derived from the every day life of a printing office. The firm has a great many A A A’s marked against them in certain big books in New York. Don’t know whether it means that Hi and the General are A. A. A. Democrats or not (Hi is one of the ALEX. SMITH class too.) But he (Hi) is one of our good citizens and the best of neighbors. His business as lumberman is large and any one who wants to sell shingles, stays, or shook-bolt, or lumber can always find a buyer for cash in Hi YORK. Long may he flourish.

[can’t read], Jeweler, and General Dealer in Notions, &c., Enterprise Block, Main Street -
This establishment offers the largest and most varied stock of jewelry of all kinds, silver and plated ware, watches and clocks of all kinds and prices, fishing tackle, &c., &c. In addition, a skillful workman attends to all kinds of engraving, repairing, &c., &c.

H. Wilcox, Ticket Agent, opposite the depot [Loder Street]. -
Mr. WILCOX conferred a favor on the people of this vicinity when he established this office. He has been engaged in it but little over a year, and it has grown to such an extent that he is now building a separate room for it Here we can go and purchase tickets via Grand Trunk, Lake Shore, and Atlantic and Great Western Railways, to any point in the South, South West, or West, east of the summits of the Rocky mountains, to which any railway runs. This is a great improvement over the old way of rushing in a crowd for a hole in the wall, buying tickets, losing money, getting pockets picked, then rushing away to get baggage checked, and then slamming away in hot haste to find all the seats taken.

All going west would save time and money by first buying their ticket of the Wellsville Agency.

Gale & Co., Bakers, Plum’s New Brick Block [NE corner Main and Madison St, Creative Arts].-
This firm succeeds Mr. PLAIN, so long and well known in connection with the Wellsville Bakery. Mr. GALE comes well recommended. The partner is Mr. Wm. ARMSTRONG, the well known Fire Insurance Agent. Mr. A. now has an office in their store. This firm intends to make the Wellsville Bakery a power in the land. They have energy, and have retained the services of Mr. PLUM, who acts as their agent. They cannot but succeed.

Kendall Brothers, Jewelers, near the Post Office, Main Street [the P.O. was on the site of L’Italia in 1869, on the south end. Kendall Bros, was next north]. -
A fine assortment of jewelry, watches, clocks, &c., always on hand. Mr. CHARLES KENDALL is an experienced workman, and warrants all that comes from his hands. But, KENDALL has the soda fountain, and all the syrups that can be thought of. KENDALL always sells all kinds of fruits in their season, &c. Everybody knows the KENDALLS, or ought to, and KENDALL’S business speaks for itself.

A.L. Doolittle, Dealer in Furniture. -
This is an establishment lately opened by Mr. A.L. DOOLITTLE, who came here from Almond, some two years ago, with the firm of ANDERSON and DOOLITTLE. He has opened one of the finest furniture salesrooms in the county, in the large store opposite Gillet block, and filled almost to the ceiling with a fine stock of furniture. These goods are bought east, brought here, and finished up. He claims that he can sell furniture a little cheaper than any other dealer in Wellsville, or out. There can be no better way devised to tell whether this is so or not, than for people who want furniture to go and see for themselves. It will give Mr. D. great pleasure to demonstrate the fact.

In General. -
Among the men who have by their influence and public spirit exerted a real power in shaping the business of our village, there is one deserving more than a passing notice. Allusion is made to O.L. MATHER, Esq., Agent for the Erie Railway and U.S. Express companies at this point. As has been noticed, the amount of business transacted at this station i; in the aggregate very large. Lumber, shingles, leather and general produce are sent away as freight, and the demand for cars, for instance at this season of the year, far exceeds the supply. The claimant’s are many and some know how to ask. 1 will be seen that in this single matter a man must have a good faculty for getting along if he gives satisfaction. For fourteen years [1854] Mr. MATHER has performed the duties of his office with an untiring zeal. For a long time he had inadequate help and was obliged to be up early, and down late. All of his duties have been accomplished in a most gentlemanly manner and with a really accommodating spirit. Favors, as far as compatible with his position flow naturally from his hands. The same remarks apply with equal force to him as Express Agent. All this is not said in the sense of a puff, but freely offered to a capable, faithful and gentlemanly official. To him and the whole force at the railway station, the FREE PRESS is under many obligations. Long may they wave.

We have some physicians in Wellsville. Thought we would say something about them, but we once heard Father Creedon say he would never say anything for or against them, for one day, he might fall into their hands, and such a fate may be ours, though we have occasion to remember one of them, the portliest of the regulars, with gratitude.

There are some Insurance Agents here. One gives especial attention to life insurance. He is full capable of telling his own story - and so is the Fire Insurance man too. If between the two you do not get insured against every possible contingency of disease, fire, storm, accident or death, it will be your fault.

Our village boasts three good hotels - Sam Truex, Sam Stiles, And Hank Wilcox, names synonymous with good meals, clean beds, and gentlemanly attention. It would give real pleasure to us and be of undoubted interest to mention the men who are not in some specific business, but who have greatly assisted in developing the wealth of the surrounding country. But to do them justice would take space that is not at our disposal. Their deeds speak for them most eloquently.