Wellsville Daily Reporter, 3-6-83
Transcribed by Crist Middaugh
Alice and Claude Gowdy display the plaque they were awarded for 40 years of active membership in the Willing Volunteer Hose Company and Auxiliary.
Willing firemen, auxiliary celebrate 40th year
Willing - Alice and Claude Gowdy were honored at a special celebration of the Willing Volunteer Hose Company and Auxiliary recently.
Company and auxiliary members celebrated 40 years of community service with a party at their firehall.
Guest speaker was John Woodard, field representative of the Fire Prevention and Control Division in Albany.
Other special guests were Mel Mickle, Allegany County fire coordinator; Clair “Speed” Guinip, District 3 deputy coordinator; George K. Goetschius and Louis Pakis, town councilmen; and Margaret Billings, town clerk. Charles McGill served as master of ceremonies.
Special honors were bestowed in several categories, as follows: Graydon C. Davis, Harry Pease and Lawrence Pflager, charter members; Claude Gowdy, Harry Pease, Allen Aiken, Charles McGill, Ted Mansfield, Cliff Eaton, Phil Aiken, Louis Pakis, Earl Nye, Fred Bennett, Bob Howe, Dan Nicholson and Garry Allen, past chiefs; the late Claire Minges, Elmer Aiken, William Carpenter and Earl Bates, past chiefs; and Mike Moland, present chief.
Certificates for years of service were awarded to the following:
- 40 years - Pauline Aiken, Irene Ellsworth, Alice Gowdy, Claude Gowdy, Harry Pease, Margaret Pease and Glade Weimer;
- 35 years - Cliff Eaton and Valera Weimer;
- 30 years - Margaret Bunnell;
- 25 years - Gerald Canfield, Marie Canfield, Onalee Pakis, Lloyd Shay and Merle Shay;
- 20 years - Gerald Cornelius, Robert F. Ellsworth and Eva Utter;
- 15 years - Fred L. Bennett, Eleanor Howe, Eugene Lewis, Dan Nicholson and Dennis Weimer;
- 10 years - Roger M. Billings Sr., Ronald Bolander, Judy Cornelius, Cory Guenter, James G. Hand, Wilma Wayman and Suzanne Williams;
- 5 years - Gregory M. Graves, Betty Lewis, Karen Nye and Terry Smith.