Elisha Potter, carpenter and joiner, was born in Rhode Island, in 1806, and came to Alfred in 1824. In 1828 he married Miss Miranda B. Maxson, of Rensselaer county. Mr. Potter was a wool carder and cloth dresser by trade, and in 1835 he erected the woolen factory in Whitney Valley, now owned by Nathan G. Hadsell. Mrs. Potter died in 1847, and in 1853 Mr. Potter married Miss Eleanor Sheppard, of Greenwich, NJ. They belong to the Seventh-Day Baptist Church.