The Jones Family Cementery is located in the Town of Allen, Allegany County, NY.
Dr. John Jones was the last living veteran in Allegany County of the Civil War.
This information is meant to help you in your quest for family. As with all material provided by others, you must verify using your own methods. Please report any errors you may discover (with proof of correction needed) so we can provide accuracy on the web.
"This small cemetery was recorded at an unknown date by Thelma Lewis Rogers. It is located in the Town of Allen" Only directions to the cemetery are noted as, "Beyond Cal. Sylors"....
|Jones||Frances M.||Aug 9, 1844 - Dec 5, 1904, Wife of John|
|Jones||Frances D.||Died Oct 24, 1905 Aged 2 Yr 5 Mo 10 Days|
|Jones||Dr. John A.||
Apr 21, 1840 - May 10, 1941, Co
E 85th NY Volunteers
Article given by Allegany County Historian Craig Braack and submitted by William A. Greene unknown news paper, probably either Olean Times Herald or Bolivar Breeze.
LAST OF THE BOYS IN BLUE
Written by John P. Herrick
Death came to Dr. John A. Jones of Short Tract, On May 10, 1941, as it comes to all men. Only 30 out of a million live to be 100 years old. Dr. Jones was born April 22, 1840, and last month observed his 101st birthday, the oldest man then alive in Allegany County, and the last surviving Allegany County veteran of the Civil War.
Dr. Jones enlisted in Company E, 85th New York Infantry, served from September 7, 1861 to June 16, 1865, and was mustered out as a sergeant. Eleven months of the time he spent in Andersonville Prison. Once in Washington he met and chatted with President Lincoln, and cast his first vote for him. He came of fighting family; ancestors fought with General Washington and in the War of 1812. One of his three sons fought in the Philippines in the war with Spain.
His love of farm animals, especially horses, led him to become a veterinarian, and his practice extended over many townships. He was a sturdy, likeable man, broad of shoulder, possessed a keen sense of humor and could spin a yarn. For 30 years he served his community as Justice of the Peace, a Supervisor, as Commander of the Grand Army Post, as postmaster and in various other capacities. When a couple came to be married and were short of money, he performed the ceremony and sent them on their way with his blessing.
It was a busy, useful life that he lived. He knew joy and sorrow. His devoted wife, Francis Minard Jones, died 38 years ago, and he never re-married. “Never a woman like her,” he said on his century birthday. He saw the first railroad train bearing President Fillmore across Allegany County, and the first canal boat to reach Oramel from Rochester on the Genesee Valley Canal. He trapped a mink and sold the pelt to pay a year‟s subscription to Horace Greely‟s Weekly Tribune. When he was a young school-boy he made his own quill pens. „As justice of the peace, he set down his records with goose quills.
There was another unusual distinction that Dr. Jones enjoyed; he was the oldest Mason in Allegany County, one of the oldest in the State, and served five terms as master of his lodge. He was the first member initiated by Maple Grove Lodge No. 761, at Short Tract, in 1875, a Mason 66 years, and possessed a 50-year service medal and a 60-year palm presented to him by the Grand Lodge.
Dr. Jones enjoyed good health until the last year, when he found it necessary to motor to Buffalo several times to consult a specialist. During the last month of his life his mind wandered at times. He was young again. He talked of olden times and old friends long dead. He asked the nurse to pin his Masonic service medal on his night shirt; it was a prized emblem of an ancient order that he loved.
The funeral service on the afternoon of May 13, 1941 was a triple service. The first service was held in the white farmhouse in the Town of Allen, his home for 69 years, conducted by Rev. Poland, pastor of the Methodist-Episcopal church at Short “Tract, who paid deserved tribute. At the grave there was a Masonic service conducted by Maple Grove Lodge, and military service conducted by the American Legion, who were joined by Veterans of Foreign Wars and members of the Woman‟s Relief Corps. At the end of the ritual service, the American Legion squad fired a volley over the grave. The bugler sounded taps. As the last faint not of the bugle died away in the far hills, the casket was lowered into a grave beside that of his wife in the old Fink Hollow Cemetery. The last lone survivor of the legion of Allegany County boys in blue, who marched away to war in 1861, was re-united with his comrades who tent on fame‟s eternal camping grounds.
Researched & Submitted by Mary Rhodes;
Allegany County Democrat May 15, 1941
Legion Aids in Rites for Dr. Jones, Dead at 101
Four members of the Morrison Hayes Post, American Legion, participated in the funeral services conducted Tuesday afternoon for Dr. John A. Jones at his home in Fink Hollow, Town of Allen, who died last Saturday in his 102nd year. Dr. Jones observed his 101st birthday April 21.
The Legionnaires going from here, Joseph Herman, Harry Steenworth, Martin Schrader and Lawrence J. Pflager. Mr. Pflager acted as chaplain of the Legion service conducted by members of several posts in the county in farewell tribute to the last Civil War veteran in Allegany County. The Masons of the county shared in the funeral services. Members of the
Fillmore lodge had charge.
The funeral was held at the home where he had passed his entire life, except for the period of his war service, and where he had passed the last years with his son, Harrah and wife. Burial was in the family cemetery across the road from the farm home, beside the body of his wife who died many years ago.
He was a member of Company E of the old 85th New York Volunteers and had a wide experience although his activities at the front were curtailed by the nine months he spent in Andersonville Prison.
Dr. Jones was one of the last residents of this section who actually shook hands with Abraham Lincoln while he was President of the United States. When he was released from Andersonville Prison, Dr Jones weighed about 80 pounds, but during recent years had weighed around 220 and his unusual vitality made it possible for him to continue his activities well beyond the 100 year mark.
Returning to Allegany county at the close of the war, he followed his profession as veterinary surgeon for many years, as well as serving as justice of the peace for 30 years and as supervisor for the Town of Allen to 1892. He was the last Civil War veteran in Allegany county and had been a familiar figure at soldiers reunions during the last half century and more. He also was a 32nd degree Mason, having joined Melrose Lodge, F and A.M. at Short Tract many years ago.
He is survived by three sons, Clifford, with whom he resided, John, of Vashion, Ore., and Harrah Jones of Angelica; five grandchildren and nine great grandchildren