(2-27-1942 Wellsville Daily Reporter)

Allentown Woman Victim

Of Fire At Home Yesterday

Mrs. Martha A. Bacon Suffers Fatal Burns When Clothing Catches Fire Early Yesterday

                Allentown, Feb. 27-Burns suffered when her clothing caught fire early yesterday morning from gas flames in the kitchen cook stove caused the death of Mrs. Martha A. Bacon, 79, at her home here in High street.

                Dr. Halsey E. Cooley, Allegany county coroner, placed time of death at about 5 o’clock yesterday morning.  The tragedy was not discovered until about 1 o’clock yesterday afternoon when Frank Bacon of Allentown, son of the victim, visited his mother’s home where she lived alone.

                Mrs. Bacon was born July 13, 1862 in Bolivar; a daughter of Joseph Ruyann Nobles Bidwell.  She was married in 1888 to Seymour Bacon who died in 1915.  She has lived here about 60 years.

                Surviving is a son, Frank Bacon of Allentown: a granddaughter and one sister; Mrs. Nellie Shirey of Scio.

                Services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Mulholland Funeral home here.  The Rev. Walter Chauncey of Allentown Methodist church will officiate with burial in Allentown cemetery.


Researched & Submitted by Mary Rhodes; From 3/5/1942 edition of Allegany County Democrat