“Bob” Garwood Plunges to His Death When Aeroplane Falls
Lieutenant Robert Garwood R.F.C. of Canaseraga, well known in this city, was instantly killed in an aeroplane fall on the aviation field of Fort Worth Texas yesterday, according to a telegram received last night by his relatives.  The body is now on the way home. Lieutenant Garwood had survived the brutality of the German U-boats before becoming an aviator, he having been on board the British steam ship Verdi, when it was sunk off the north coast of Ireland last September.  He had a narrow escape from death at that time and his experience only embittered him against the cowardly Hun and inspired him to enlist in the aviation corps.

The accident terminates a most promising career.  Lieutenant Garwood was a native of Canaseraga although he received his education in Alfred University where he received his degree of doctor of philosophy.  He then became an instructor in the history department of Cornell University and was engaged in that work when he enlisted last May to enter the merchant marine. The trip of the Verdi started from Buenos Aires early in September and the attack of the German U-Boat took place off the north coast of Ireland.  Lieutenant Garwood with a boat load of his comrades were afloat in the open boat in a rough sea for three days and two nights before they landed on the coast of Ireland only a short distance from the place where the men from the ill fated Tuscania were landed. His experience during the ship wreck were graphically told at a meeting of the Liberty loan workers here in the First Presbyterian church a few weeks ago and in the January issue of the Scribner Magazine he had a long article describing his experiences.

After recovering from the effects of his exposure he returned to this country and sought to enlist in the army but was unsuccessful.  He then went to Toronto and after weeks of endeavor succeeded in getting accepted in the British Royal Flying Corp.  He was sent to Fort Worth on January 1st and on January 20th made his first flight.  He had only just completed his training and received his commission and it is thought that he was acting as an instructor when the accident happened. The young man was only 23 years old, his birthday having taken place on march 12th and besides his father William Garwood of Canaseraga, is survived by three brothers, Hurlburt Garwood of Niagara Falls, Hugh Garwood of Chester, NY and William H. Garwood of Canaseraga and one sister, Miss Anna Garwood also of Canaseraga.

During his absence last summer, Cornell University granted him a fellowship.  He was a clever orator as well as a brilliant writer and his article in the Scribner Magazine received favorable comment from many of the leading newspapers and periodicals throughout the country. His lecture in this city was one of the most impressive that has been heard here in a long time and was the first time that the brutality and heartlessness of the Huns was brought home to the people of this city in a clear and concise manner.
The funeral arrangements of course cannot be made until the body arrives.