Boy Scouts to Hold Covered Wagon Hike
June 14, 1945
Will Hike from Cohocton to Elm Valley in Honor of
150th Anniversary of Founding of Allegany County.
One hundred and fifty years ago Nathaniel Dike started from near Tioga Point, Pa., for the unknown country of the upper Genesee. Crossing the lands of the Pultney estate (which estate covered most of Steuben county) on the Canisteo River, he was supposed to have passed thru Almond and crossed the hills to Elm Creek by way of McHenry Valley and thence down the valley to the broad level where it unites with Dike’s Creek. It is now known as Dyke’s Creek.
This promising locality was timbered with hardwood and the first virgin forest in what is now Allegany County was cleared at the present spot we know as Elm Valley.
In commemoration of the pioneering spirit of Nathaniel Dyke, the Boy Scouts of Allegany Country are going to traverse his route to Elm Valley as nearly as is possible during the first week in July. The trip will start at Cohocton and will be a four day hike by Scouts Who have passed certain first class requirements. The last day’s hike will end up at Elm Valley where the “Dike Scouts” will rediscover the fertile spance of land and be greeted by friendly Indians (brother Scouts who have arrived to take part in a Camporee). After a flag raising ceremony at Dike’s grave, all the Scouts will pitch tents and settle down for a Camporee lasting until Sunday afternoon at 3 o’clock.
Accompanying the Scouts on the hike will be two covered wagons fitted and decorated to emulate those used by the early pioneers. These will be used to carry equipment and provisions for the hiking Scouts.
Ray Dare, Scoutmaster of Troop 35 in Wellsville, is general chairman in charge of all arrangements and has prepared detailed plans for the Scouts as to equipment needed and instructions for the trip. The route and program as carefully laid out follows: Scouts will assemble at Cohocton at 10 o’clock on the morning of July 3rd, and the expedition will get under way at 2 p.m. The first day’s hike will be to Loon Lake, a distance of four miles.
Wednesday, July 4th will be 15 miles to North Hornell where they will camp on the Steuben Council’s new 75 acre Camporee site. Local Steuben Troops will act as service units.
Thursday, July 5th, will be a 12 mile hike, parading thru Hornell and thence to Alfred where an evening program is planned.
Friday, July 6th, will be nine miles over the hill to Elm Valley and the Camporee site where they will be met by the other Scouts of Allegany County.
An appropriate program is being preprared to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the settling of Allegany County, which will be carried out at the Camporee. Both Protestant and Catholic Church services are planned for Sunday morning.
The following committees are making arrangements:
Publicity: Charles W. Fuller, Wellsville and Erwin D. Baker, Andover. Food: John Devore of Wellsville, Everett Dyer of Belfast and Harry Hardman of Richburg. Camp Sites, medical examinations, medical care, first aid, etc: Lewis Felton, Asst. Scout executive of Wellsville; Ray Dare of Wellsville, Eugene Brace of Wellsville and William Green of Belmont. Camporee site: Reginald J. Sootheran of Andover, John Church of Wellsville and Paul Sisson of Angelica. Camporee program: Andy Scott of Wellsville, Clint Reuhe of Fillmore, Raymond O. Snyder of Andover and Harry Goetchius of Wellsville. Camporee camp fire and Sunday services: Robert Prescott of Wellsville, Harry McNinch of Belmont and Felix Schneble of Wellsville. Transportation (covered wagons): LaVerne Dickerson of Willing, Ellis Hawkins of Wellsville, Guy Woodard of Allentown, James DeAnsey of Belfast, Clarence Jewell of Belfast and Murry Densmore of Cuba. Finance: Norman chapman of Genesee, Pa., and Montgomery Mitchell of Wellsville.
This program is planned to be one of the highlights in the Scouting life of the boys in Allegany County and they are all striving to attain the necessary rank to make the trip. They are to be commended for their spirit in commemoration this historic event in our local history. They deserve the encouragement of the community. Give them a pat on the back.
MAY 31, 1945
“Andover Grange, No. 1098 has placed a memorial sign and planted a tree on the C. Cole farm, designating the oldest cemetery in Allegany County, founded 150 years ago, where the first settlers are buried.”
What ever happened to this sign is a mystery. When the road was built from Andover to Wellsville back in 1948/1949 the wooden sign was removed and its’ whereabouts is unknown. We don’t know if the company that built the road took it or if it was put someplace and everyone forgot where it was stored.