The Bridges of Angelica
by Robert Dorsey

Below is a picture of a bridge labeled Cattle Bridge.. 


This bridge was located at Closser Avenue.  George Herdman was driving cattle across the bridge when it collapsed into the creek.  This was in 1927.  A temporary bridge was erected in its place. 


This scan shows a bunch of kids standing on the temporary bridge.  Work started on its replacement October 1, 1932 when it became necessary to replace a fairly new bridge near the present day Belvidere Restaurant.  The new bridge at Belvidere needed to cross the Erie Railroad.  The bridge that had been located at that site was moved to Angelica and located on Closser Avenue. 


This Closser Avenue Bridge was replaced during construction of the Southern Tier Expressway.


The bridge labeled South Street Bridge was disabled during the 1972 flood.  While some people had hoped it would be turned into a foot bridge or replaced it was moved to Friendship and is still used as a bridge behind Friendship Dairies leaving South Street a dead end street.


The Center Street Bridge was also washed out during the '72 flood.


There is also a scan labeled Olean Street Bridge.  The card was mislabled Center Street.  A bridge at the Olean Street location was the first bridge over Angelica Creek in the village.

These two scans are pictures of bridges along the Shawmut.


The construction picture was taken near Brentwood Camp and predates the Shawmut. 


The second bridge would have been located between Angelica Creek and the present day Expressway.  Not far from the Angelica Cemetery.  The abutments are still visible.

Ron, these pictures are all from the Joncy area very near where Chris Hoffmann lived. 


The Alton Sylor bridge (above) replaced the one labeled 3rd bridge (below).



This bridge had been replaced by 2nd bridge......

and the earliest bridge at this location was a wooden bridge labeled first bridge.


High view is another view of 2nd bridge.


First cement, Woodland Bridge, Bridge Construction and wooden bridge were the two bridges just below Joncy. 


Woodland Bridge most likely got its name from Thomas Woodland who lived near the bridge.  These wooden bridge with enclosed wooden sides seemed to be a fairly common form of construction in that area. 


View from Joncy Hill Road.